Axert generically known as almotriptan is a medication indicated for the acute treatment of migraine attacks in adults with a history of migraines. Almotriptan is in a class of medications called selective serotonin receptor agonists. It works by narrowing blood vessels around the brain and reducing substances in the body that can trigger migraine symptoms.
Almotriptan is a triptan medication that is used to relieve headache, pain, and other symptoms of migraine, including nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound. Almotriptan is available in tablet form for oral administration and should be taken as directed by a healthcare professional.
Uses and Dosage
Almotriptan is taken orally in tablet form at the first sign of a migraine headache. If symptoms improve but return after two or more hours, a second tablet may be taken, but under no circumstances should a second tablet be taken if symptoms do not improve. Patients should adhere to the maximum number of tablets per 24-hour period as directed by their healthcare providers, and follow prescription instructions, ensuring that they do not take more or less than the recommended dose, or take the medication more frequently than prescribed. If doubts arise, patients should consult their doctor or pharmacist for clarification. You should not take almotriptan or any other headache medication for more than 10 days per month. Call your doctor if you need to take almotriptan to treat more than four headaches in a 1-month period.
The typical dosage of almotriptan for adults and adolescents between ages 12 to 17 years is a range of 6.25mg to 12.5mg, with many adults tending to respond better to the latter dose. However, as individuals may vary in their response to different doses of almotriptan, the choice of dose should be made on an individual basis. If the headache symptoms improve after the first dose of almotriptan but later return, a second dose may be repeated after 2 hours, but its effectiveness has not been established in placebo-controlled trials. The patients do not exceed 25mg per 24-hour period as the maximum daily dosage.
Common Side Effects of Axert (Almotriptan):
- Burning sensation
- Dry mouth
- Mild headache (not a migraine)
Serious Side Effects of Axert (Almotriptan):
- Bloody or tarry stools
- Burning pain in your feet
- Chest pain or pressure
- Difficulty breathing
- Fast heart rate
- Heavy feeling in your legs
- Hip pain
- Leg cramps
- Loss of coordination
- Numbness or tingling in your legs
- Overactive reflexes
- Pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder
- Pale or blue-colored appearance in your fingers or toes
- Severe stomach pain (especially after eating)
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Form and strength
Axert (Almotriptan) is available in the following forms and strength:
- People with certain medical conditions, such as heart problems or uncontrolled high blood pressure, may be at increased risk for serious side effects from Axert and should talk to their healthcare provider before taking the medication.
- Discuss with a healthcare provider before taking Axert if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding. The effects of Axert on a developing fetus or nursing infant are not known.
- Axert should not be taken within 24 hours of taking other triptan medications or ergot-containing medications, as this may increase the risk of serious side effects.
- Axert may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or other side effects that may impair your ability to operate machinery or perform tasks that require alertness, so caution should be taken when driving or operating machinery.
- Axert is not recommended for use in children under the age of 12.
- Axert may interact with other medications or supplements you are taking; tell your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking before starting Axert.
- People with liver problems may be at increased risk for side effects from Axert and may need to take a lower dose or have their liver function monitored before and during treatment.
- Axert may cause allergic reactions in some people, including rash, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Axert be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
Do not use Axert during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. You should discuss any potential risks and benefits with your healthcare provider before taking Axert.
How long does almotriptan take to work?
You can start to feel migraine relief within 2 hours after taking almotriptan.
How should Axert be stored?
Axert should be stored at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C), away from moisture and heat.
Is Axert addictive?
Axert is not considered an addictive medication. However, it should be taken only as directed by a healthcare professional.