Table of contents:
Maxalt is a prescription medicine used to treat the symptoms of migraine headaches. It contains an active ingredient called Rizatriptan Benzoate. Rizatriptan Benzoate belongs to a class of medicines called Triptans. It works by narrowing the blood vessels around the brain and reducing certain substances in the body that can trigger migraine symptoms such as painful headaches, sensitivity to light and sound, and nausea.
Maxalt can be used alone or with other medications to relieve headache, pain, and other migraine symptoms (including nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light/sound). Prompt treatment helps you return to your normal routine and may decrease your need for other pain medications.
Uses and Dosage
Maxalt is administered orally in tablet form as directed by your doctor, at the onset of the first signs of a migraine headache. The medicine can be taken with or without food, although it may act more rapidly when taken on an empty stomach. Inform your healthcare provider and pharmacist about all prescribed drugs, non-prescribed drugs, and herbal remedies you are taking.
The dosage is based on your medical condition, age, response to treatment, and other drugs you may be taking. For children, the dosage is also based on weight.
- Adults: The typical dose is 5 mg to 10 mg by mouth for one single dose. You can repeat your dose every 2 hours as needed. Do not take more than 30 mg in a 24-hour period.
- Children (6 to 17 years old) who weigh less than 88 lbs.: The typical dose is 5 mg by mouth for one single dose. Do not take more than 5 mg in a 24-hour period.
- Children (6 to 17 years old) who weigh 88 lbs. or more: The typical dose is 10 mg by mouth for one single dose. Do not take more than 10 mg in a 24-hour period if you weigh 88 pounds or more.
Common Side Effects of Maxalt (Rizatriptan):
- Feeling tired
- Pain or feeling of pressure in your throat or chest
Serious Side Effects of Maxalt (Rizatriptan):
- Bloody diarrhea
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain or pressure
- Cold feeling
- Fast heart rate
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle stiffness
- Numbness in your feet and hands
- Pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder
- Pounding in your neck or ears
- Problems with vision or balance
- Severe headache
- Slurred speech
- Sudden and severe stomach pain
- Sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body)
- Sudden severe headache
Form and strength
Maxalt (Rizatriptan)) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 5 mg
- Before taking rizatriptan, inform your healthcare provider if you are allergic to it, or have any additional allergies. It may contain passive ingredients that could cause an allergic response or other complications. Talk to your pharmacist for further information.
- During pregnancy, the use of Rizatriptan should only be considered when necessary. Consult with your physician to consider the potential risks and benefits.
- Maxalt should not be taken within 24 hours before or after using certain migraine headache medicines. Consult your pharmacist to ensure you are not taking Maxalt with these medicines.
- Rizatriptan use may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Using alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) may intensify these effects. Avoid driving, operating machinery, or anything that requires alertness until you can do so safely. Limit alcoholic consumption. Discuss marijuana (cannabis) usage with your physician.
- Rizatriptan use may raise the risk of heart problems. Inform your physician if you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, a family history of heart disease, are overweight, are a smoker, are postmenopausal (women), or are over 40 years of age (men).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Maxalt be used for other types of headaches?
No, Maxalt should only be used to treat migraines and not for other types of headaches.
Is Maxalt safe for everyone to use?
No, Maxalt may not be safe for everyone to use, particularly if you have certain medical conditions. Talk to your doctor before using Maxalt to determine if it is safe for you.
How long does it take for Maxalt to work?
Maxalt typically starts to work for a migraine headache within 30 minutes for some patients. By 2 hours, there should be significant relief.
Can I take a second dose of Maxalt if the first one didn't work?
If your migraine headache comes back, you can take a second dose of Maxalt at least 2 hours after the first dose. However, you should not take more than 30 mg of Maxalt in 24 hours.
Can I take other medications with Maxalt?
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about all medications you are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements, to determine if it is safe to take them with Maxalt.
Can Maxalt cause addiction?
Maxalt is not known to be addictive.
How should I store Maxalt?
Maxalt should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
It's important to purchase Maxalt from verified Canadian pharmacy.