Table of contents:
Imitrex nasal spray is a prescription medication used to treat acute migraines and cluster headaches. It contains the active ingredient Sumatriptan, which is a selective agonist for 5-HT1B/1D receptors. Imitrex nasal spray works by narrowing the swollen blood vessels in the brain. This helps to relieve the pain associated with migraines and cluster headaches.
Sumatriptan works by stopping pain signals from being sent to the brain and blocking the release of natural substances that cause pain, inflammation, and other symptoms related to migraines or cluster headaches. The medication is absorbed through the nasal lining, making it a quick and effective way to treat headaches.
Use and Dosage
To use the spray, you should first gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils. Then, tilt your head back slightly and close one nostril by pressing your index finger on one side of your nose. Place the nozzle of the spray device into the other nostril and breathe in gently as you press the plunger. Keep your head upright, remove the nozzle from your nose, and gently breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth for 10 to 20 seconds. Your nose may feel wet inside, and you may notice a slight taste after using the spray, which is normal.
Only remove the spray from its package when you're ready to use it and do not test or prime the spray before use, as doing so could cause you to lose the dose. If there is no improvement in your symptoms, do not take more doses of this medication before talking to your doctor.
If you are using drugs for migraine attacks on 10 or more days each month, the drugs may make your headaches worse (medication overuse headache). Do not use medications more often or for longer than directed and talk to your doctor if you need to use this medication more often, or if the medication is not working as well, or if your headaches get worse.
Common Side Effects of Imitrex Nasal Spray (Sumatriptan):
- Feeling hot or cold
- Numbness or tingling
- Pain burning numbness or tingling in your nose or throat after using the nasal medicine and
- Pain or tightness in your chest throat or jaw
- Pressure in any part of your body
- Runny or congested nose after using the nasal medicine
- Unpleasant taste after using the nasal medicine
Serious Side Effects of Imitrex Nasal Spray (Sumatriptan):
- Burning pain in your legs or feet
- Cold feeling in your legs or feet
- Color changes in your legs or feet
- Diarrhea with or without the presence of blood
- Difficulty seeing
- Hip pain
- Irregular heartbeats
- Leg cramps
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle stiffness
- Numbness or tingling in your legs or feet
- Pain in your jaw or shoulder
- Poor balance and
- Seizure (convulsions)
- Severe chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech
- Sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body
- Sudden severe headache
- Sudden severe stomach pain
- Sweating or shivering
Forms and Strength
Imitrex Nasal Spray (Sumatriptan) is available in the following forms and strength:
Imitrex Nasal Spray: Nasal Spray
- 5 mg
- 20 mg
- Seizures: Use with caution in patients with epilepsy or a lowered seizure.
- Controlled hypertension: Sumatriptan should be administered with caution to patients with controlled hypertension. Ischemic coronary artery disease, Prinzmetal's angina, or other serious
- Cardiac conditions: Use with caution and consider other therapeutic options in such patients.
- Peripheral vascular disease: Use with caution in patients with peripheral vascular disease.
- Hemiplegic or basilar migraine: Use with caution in patients with a history of hemiplegic or basilar migraine as these patients are at an increased risk for stroke. It is important to discuss any potential risks and cautions with your healthcare provider to determine if Imitrex Nasal Spray is the right treatment option for you given your medical history and individual health needs.
- Hepatic impairment: Sumatriptan should be used with caution in patients with hepatic impairment.
- Renal impairment: Use with caution in patients with renal impairment.
- Serotonin syndrome: There have been rare reports of serotonin syndrome occurring in patients receiving Sumatriptan, particularly in those receiving SSRIs and SNRIs.
- Elderly patients: Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the effects of Sumatriptan, and caution should be exercised in dosing.
- Allergic reactions: Sumatriptan must not be used in patients with a history of hypersensitivity to any component of the medication. Discuss any potential risks and cautions with your healthcare provider to determine if Imitrex Nasal Spray is the right treatment option for you given your medical history and individual health needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How quickly does Imitrex Nasal Spray work for migraines or cluster headaches?
Imitrex Nasal Spray typically starts working within 15 minutes of administration, but the duration of its effects may vary depending on the individual.
How often can I use Imitrex Nasal Spray for acute migraines or cluster headaches?
Imitrex Nasal Spray should not be used for more than 2 headaches in a 24-hour period and not more than 2 consecutive days per week.
Can I drive or operate heavy machinery after taking Imitrex Nasal Spray?
Imitrex Nasal Spray may cause dizziness or drowsiness, so it is important to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until you know how it affects you.
How should I store Imitrex Nasal Spray?
Imitrex Nasal Spray should be stored at room temperature and away from light and moisture.
It's important to purchase Imitrex Nasal Spray from verified Canadian pharmacy.