Table of contents:
Imitrex is a prescription medication used to treat migraines and cluster headaches, and it works by narrowing the blood vessels in the brain and reducing inflammation. It helps to relieve pain and other symptoms of migraines/headaches including sensitivity to light or sound, nausea, and vomiting. It does not prevent future migraines/headaches or reduce how often you may get a headache.
Imitrex contains the active ingredient sumatriptan, which belongs to a class of drugs known as triptans. As a triptan medication, Imitrex stimulates serotonin receptors (5-HT1B/1D receptors) found on blood vessels in the brain. It causes the blood vessels to narrow, reducing inflammation and stopping pain signals from being sent to the brain.
Use and Dosage
The Imitrex STAT Dose System Autoinjector Kit is a single use autoinjector that delivers a subcutaneous injection of sumatriptan to quickly relieve migraine headaches. The device contains a spring-loaded needle that automatically injects the medication when pressed firmly against the skin.
To use the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit, follow these general steps:
- Remove the autoinjector from the package and check that the medication solution inside the cartridge is clear and free of particles.
- Choose a site on the thigh or stomach for injection and cleanse the area with an alcohol swab.
- Peel off the plastic cap from the top of the autoinjector.
- Firmly press the autoinjector against the selected injection site at a 90-degree angle.
- Push down on the injection button until it clicks, which indicates the medication has been injected.
- Hold the autoinjector against the injection site for several seconds before removing it.
- Carefully dispose of the used autoinjector and any remaining medication as directed by your healthcare provider or local pharmacy.
Note that these are general instructions for using the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit and that individual patients may have different or specific medical needs. Patients should always consult with their healthcare provider for personalized medical advice on the correct use of the medication and device.
Common Side Effects of Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit (Sumatriptan):
- Blushing (flushing)
- Burning feeling
- Dizziness/feeling like you’re spinning (vertigo)
- Feeling of heaviness
- Feeling warm, hot, or cold
- Muscle cramps
- Pressure feeling
- Tingling sensation
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit (Sumatriptan):
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Difficult or labored breathing
- Dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- Pounding in the ears
- Shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- Slow heartbeat
- Tight feeling in the head
- Tightness or pressure in the chest
- Trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Forms and Strength
Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit (Sumatriptan) is available in the following forms and strength:
Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit: Kit
- Imitrex Autoinjector Kit should not be used to prevent migraines or to treat other types of headaches.
- Patients with certain medical conditions, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, or liver or kidney disease, may not be able to use Imitrex Kit or may require dosage adjustments.
- Imitrex Autoinjector Kit should be used with caution in patients who are taking certain medications, such as antidepressants or MAO (monoamine oxidase) inhibitors, which can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Imitrex Autoinjector Kit may cause side effects such as dizziness, flushing, or a sensation of pressure or tightness in the chest or throat. Patients should be advised to seek medical attention if they experience any severe or persistent side effects.
- Use of Imitrex Injection Autoinjector Kit during pregnancy or breastfeeding may have potential risks to the fetus or nursing infant, and the benefits and risks should be discussed with a healthcare provider.
- Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit is intended for single-use only and should be disposed of properly after use.
- Patients with a history of migraine-related vertigo or severe liver or kidney dysfunction may be at increased risk for serious adverse effects with Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit.
- Imitrex Injection Autoinjector Kit may cause increases in blood pressure, and patients with uncontrolled hypertension should be closely monitored while using the medication.
- Patients who have experienced an allergic reaction to similar medications such as triptans or ergotamines should not use Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit.
- Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit may interact with other medications, including over-the-counter pain relievers and herbal supplements. Patients should tell their healthcare provider about all medications and supplements they are taking before using Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long do the effects of Imitrex last when administered via injection?
The effects of Imitrex when administered via injection may last up to two hours, and patients should not exceed two doses in 24 hours.
How often can the Imitrex injection be administered?
Patients should not exceed more than two injections in a 24-hour period, and at least one hour should pass between the administrations of each dose.
It's important to purchase Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit from verified Canadian pharmacy.