Table of contents:
Zomig Rapimelt is a prescription medication used to treat migraine headaches. It contains the active ingredient zolmitriptan, which belongs to a group of medications called triptans.
Zolmitriptan works by narrowing the blood vessels in the brain, which helps to reduce the headache and other symptoms associated with a migraine attack, including nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound.
Use and Dosage
Zomig Rapimelt comes in the form of Rapid Dispersing Tablet to use it by mouth. Place the tablet on the tongue and allow it to dissolve. The tablet will disintegrate quickly and can be swallowed with saliva.
The recommended dose for adults is 2.5 mg, which should be taken as soon as possible after the onset of a migraine attack. If the headache does not go away after the first dose, a second dose may be taken, but a maximum of 2 doses (5 mg) should be taken in any 24-hour period. The dose for elderly patients or patients with impaired liver or kidney function may need to be adjusted.
Common Side Effects of Zomig Rapimelt (Zolmitriptan):
- Dizziness or faintness
- Dry mouth
- Feeling warm or cold
Serious Side Effects of Zomig Rapimelt (Zolmitriptan):
- Bloody diarrhea
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Pain, burning, or tingling in the hands or feet
- Pain, tightness, pressure, or heaviness in the chest, throat, neck, or jaw
- Paleness or blue color of the fingers and toes
- Shortness of breath
- Slow or difficult speech
- Sudden or severe stomach pain
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
Forms and Strengths
Zomig Rapimelt (Zolmitriptan) is available in the following forms and strength:
Zomig Rapimelt: Rapid Dispersing Tablet
- 2.5 mg
- 5 mg
Zolmitriptan: Orally Disintegrating Tablet
- 2.5 mg
- 5 mg
- Zomig Rapimelt should not be used to prevent or reduce the frequency of migraines, but only to treat the onset of an acute migraine attack.
- Zomig Rapimelt is not recommended for use in patients under 18 years of age.
- Zolmitriptan may interact with other medications and cause unwanted side effects. Patients should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are currently taking.
- Zomig Rapimelt may cause drowsiness or dizziness, which can impair the ability to operate machinery or drive a vehicle.
- Zolmitriptan may cause a temporary increase in blood pressure or heart rate, particularly in patients with existing high blood pressure or heart problems.
- Zolmitriptan is not recommended for use in patients with severe liver or kidney problems.
- Zolmitriptan may cause symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or vision changes. Patients experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention.
- Patients with a history of strokes, transient ischemic attacks (TIAs), or peripheral vascular disease should use the tablet with caution.
- Zomig Rapimelt should not be taken with other medications for migraines, such as ergotamine or other triptans.
- Zolmitriptan is not recommended for use in patients with severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure.
- Zomig Rapimelt may cause feelings of tightness or pressure in the chest or throat.
- Zomig Rapimelt may cause serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition that can occur when taking medications that increase serotonin levels.
- Zomig Rapimelt may cause or worsen seizures in some patients.
- Zolmitriptan may cause or worsen depression or anxiety symptoms in some patients.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Zomig Rapimelt cause drowsiness?
Yes, drowsiness is a possible side effect of Zomig Rapimelt. Patients should use caution when driving or operating heavy machinery until they know how the medication affects them.
Can Zomig Rapimelt be taken during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
The use of Zomig Rapimelt during pregnancy or while breastfeeding is not recommended. Patients should consult with their healthcare provider before taking Zomig Rapimelt if they are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
Can Zomig Rapimelt be used to prevent migraines?
No, Zomig Rapimelt is not a preventative medication for migraines. It is used to treat acute migraine attacks as they occur.
Can Zomig Rapimelt be used for other types of headaches besides migraines?
Zomig Rapimelt is specifically indicated for the treatment of acute migraine attacks and should not be used for other types of headaches.
It's important to purchase Zomig Rapimelt from verified Canadian pharmacy.