Table of contents:
The Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill is a medication used to treat acute migraine attacks and cluster headaches in adults. It helps to relieve pain and other symptoms of migraines/headaches including sensitivity to light or sound, nausea, and vomiting. It does not prevent future migraines/headaches or reduce how often you may get a headache.
Imitrex contains the active ingredient sumatriptan, which belongs to a class of drugs known as triptans. Triptans work by causing the blood vessels in the brain to narrow, which helps to relieve the headache pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with migraines.
Use and Dosage
The refill comes in pre-filled syringes with a sterile needle for injection and is used with an autoinjector device called the Imitrex STAT Dose Pen. Here are the steps for using the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill:
- First, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Remove the prefilled syringe from its packaging and check the medication to make sure it is not discolored or cloudy.
- Choose an injection site that is soft and fleshy such as the thigh or upper arm. Avoid areas where the skin is bruised, swollen or tender.
- Cleanse the injection site with an alcohol swab.
- Remove the needle cover from the syringe and hold the syringe with one hand.
- With the other hand, pinch the skin around the injection site to create a firm surface.
- Insert the needle into the skin at a 90-degree angle and push down on the plunger to inject the medication.
- Remove the needle from the skin and apply gentle pressure to the injection site with a cotton ball or sterile gauze.
- Dispose of the used syringe in an appropriate sharps container.
Do not take any more doses of Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill before talking to your doctor. If your symptoms are only partly relieved, or if your headache comes back, you may use a second injection after one hour or as directed by your doctor. Do not use more than 12 milligrams in a 24-hour period. Do not reuse the syringe or the needle-free device. If you are using an auto-injector device, it may be re-used.
Common Side Effects of Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill (Sumatriptan):
- Blushing (flushing)
- Burning feeling
- Dizziness/feeling like you are spinning (vertigo)
- Feeling of heaviness
- Feeling warm or hot
- Pressure feeling
- Tingling sensation
Serious Side Effects of Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill (Sumatriptan):
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Difficult or labored breathing
- Dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- Pounding in the ears
- Shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- Slow heartbeat
- Tight feeling in the head
- Tightness or pressure in the chest
- Trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Forms and Strength
Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill (Sumatriptan) is available in the following forms and strength:
Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill: Prefilled Pen
- Patients should not use Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit if they have an allergy to sumatriptan or any of the ingredients in the medication.
- The autoinjector should be used with caution in patients who are taking other medications that affect serotonin levels in the body, as this can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called serotonin syndrome.
- Patients should inform their healthcare professional if they have ever experienced chest pain, shortness of breath, high blood pressure, or other heart or blood vessel problems, as these conditions may increase the risk of serious side effects.
- Patients should not use the autoinjector if they have taken another migraine medication in the previous 24 hours, as this can increase the risk of serious side effects.
- The autoinjector should be stored at room temperature and protected from light and moisture. Patients should not use the autoinjector if the medication appears discolored or contains particles.
- Patients should also inform their healthcare professional if they are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, as the safety of sumatriptan use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding is not well established.
- Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit is intended only for people prescribed the medication by a healthcare professional.
- The autoinjector should be used with caution in patients with a history of seizures or epilepsy, as they may be at greater risk of having a seizure while using the medication.
- The autoinjector should also be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disease, as the medication may be processed more slowly and may stay in the body longer, increasing the risk of side effects.
- Patients with a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, or stroke should also use the medication with caution and under the close supervision of their healthcare professional.
- The autoinjector should not be used to prevent migraine headaches or to treat headaches that are not migraines.
- Patients should not use more than the recommended dose of Imitrex and should not use it more frequently than prescribed, as this can increase the risk of serious side effects.
- Patients should inform their doctor if they experience chest pain, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling, or severe headache after using the autoinjector.
- Patients should carefully dispose of needles, syringes, auto-injectors, and unused medication to prevent injury and infection.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit safe to use during pregnancy?
The safety of using Imitrex injection during pregnancy has not been established. If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, talk to your healthcare provider before using it.
What should I do before using the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit?
Before using the autoinjector, read the instruction leaflet carefully and follow the steps exactly as directed. If you have any questions or concerns, talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist for advice.
How often can the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit be used?
Not more than 12 mg (two 6 mg injections) should be taken in any 24-hour period.
How should the Imitrex Injection Stat Dose System Autoinjector Kit be stored?
The autoinjector should be stored at room temperature and protected from light and excessive heat.
It's important to purchase Imitrex Injection Stat Dose Prefilled Syringe Refill from verified Canadian pharmacy.