Table of contents:
Sandimmune is used to prevent organ rejection in patients who have received kidney, liver, or heart transplants. It is a brand name for the drug cyclosporine, which is an immunosuppressant medication. Sandimmune is usually taken along with other medications to prevent rejection. Cyclosporine can also be used to treat other autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and lupus. It works by suppressing the body's immune response, which can help prevent the body from rejecting a transplanted organ.
Uses and Dosage
Sandimmune capsules are taken orally, according to the instructions of your doctor, usually once a day. It can be taken with or without food, but you should choose one way and take it the same way with every dose. The dosage is determined based on your weight, medical condition, lab test results, and response to treatment.
Unless advised otherwise by your doctor or pharmacist, it is recommended to avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking Sandimmune capsules. This is because grapefruit can increase the risk of experiencing side effects when using this medication. For more information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Side Effects of Sandimmune (Cyclosporine):
- Breast enlargement in men
- Burning or tingling in the hands, arms, feet, or legs
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Ear problems
- Growth of extra tissue on the gums
- Increased hair growth on the face, arms, or back
- Muscle or joint pain
- Pain or pressure in the face
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of your body
Serious Side Effects of Sandimmune (Cyclosporine):
- Changes in behavior or mood
- Changes in vision
- Difficulty controlling body movements
- Loss of consciousness
- Pale skin
- Purple blotches on the skin
- Swelling of the hands, arms, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Form and Strength
Sandimmune (Cyclosporine) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 25 mg
- 100 mg
- Sandimmune may increase the risk of certain types of cancers, including lymphoma and skin cancer.
- Sandimmune may weaken the immune system, making it more difficult for the body to fight infections. It may also increase the risk of developing serious infections, such as tuberculosis and hepatitis B and C.
- Sandimmune may cause kidney damage in some people. Regular monitoring of kidney function is recommended while taking this medication.
- Sandimmune may increase blood pressure or cause other cardiovascular problems, such as an abnormal heartbeat.
- Sandimmune has the potential to interact with a variety of other medications, including certain antibiotics, antifungals, and cholesterol-lowering medications. It is important to inform your doctor of all medications you are taking before starting treatment with Sandimmune. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and that additional cautions may apply based on individual circumstances.
- Sandimmune may cause nervous system problems, such as tremors or seizures.
- Sandimmune may cause gastrointestinal problems, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Sandimmune may cause skin problems, such as acne or excessive hair growth.
- Sandimmune may increase the risk of developing diabetes or worsen existing diabetes. Note that all medications come with potential risks and side effects, and that individual patients may experience them differently. Discuss any questions or concerns about this medication with a healthcare professional.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Sandimmune interact with other medications?
Yes, Sandimmune has the potential to interact with a variety of other medications, including antibiotics, antifungals, and cholesterol-lowering drugs. Inform your doctor of all medications you are taking before starting treatment with Sandimmune.
Is Sandimmune safe to take during pregnancy?
Sandimmune may not be safe to take during pregnancy, as it may have the potential to harm a developing fetus. It is important to discuss the risks and benefits of taking Sandimmune during pregnancy with a healthcare professional.
How is Sandimmune taken?
Sandimmune is usually taken orally, either as a capsule or an oral solution. The dosage and frequency of administration will depend on a variety of factors, including the patient's age, weight, and medical condition.
It's important to purchase Sandimmune from verified Canadian pharmacy.