Table of contents:
Revatio is a prescription medicine used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), which is a type of high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs. It is a brand name for the drug sildenafil, which is also used to treat erectile dysfunction under the brand name Viagra. Revatio works by relaxing the blood vessels in the lungs to help improve blood flow and reduce high blood pressure.
It is also sometimes prescribed off-label for other conditions such as erectile dysfunction. It is available in tablet form for oral use. Revatio should only be used under the guidance and prescription of a licensed healthcare professional.
Uses and Dosage
Revatio is available as 20 mg tablets. To ensure the effectiveness of Revatio, patients should take the tablet orally as prescribed. The tablets should be swallowed whole with a drink of water, with or without food. Sildenafil can be taken with or without food. Taking it with food may help prevent upset stomach. Capsule Icon Separate your doses by 4 to 6 hours. Taking your doses too close together can raise your risk of side effects.
A dosing schedule should be created and followed to avoid missing a dose, but the patient should not adjust their dosage without consulting with their healthcare professional. The usual adult dosage for PAH is one 20 mg tablet, three times a day. The dosage may be adjusted by the healthcare professional based on the patient's response and tolerability.
Common Side Effects of Revatio (Sildenafil):
- Flushing in the face, neck, and chest area
- Muscle pain
- Stomach upset
- Trouble breathing
Serious Side Effects of Revatio (Sildenafil):
- "Pins and needles" sensation
- Ear ringing or loss of hearing
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
- Non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) or permanent blindness in both eyes
- Prolonged erection (longer than 4 hours)
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Sinus inflammation
- Stomach irritation
- Swelling of extremities
- Vision changes
Form and strength
Revatio (Sildenafil) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 20 mg
- 20 mg
- Fully disclose your medical history and medication use to your physician before taking Revatio, as this medication may interact with certain conditions and medications.
- If you have a known allergy to sildenafil or any of the inactive ingredients in Revatio, do not take this drug. Be aware of symptoms of severe hypersensitivity, which may include difficulty breathing, severe dizziness, swelling of the face and neck, skin rashes, and hives. Seek immediate medical attention by calling your local emergency line if any of these symptoms occur.
- Revatio may cause sudden vision loss or NAION. Individuals with hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, or high cholesterol 50 years old or older are particularly vulnerable. Inform your physician if you have any of these conditions.
- Higher doses of sildenafil (Revatio) for PAH were more likely to die after about 1 year. Sildenafil (Revatio) is not recommended for long-term use in children.
- Sildenafil (Revatio) relaxes your blood vessels, which can make your blood pressure drop too low. If you take medications that lower blood pressure, make sure to check your blood pressure regularly while taking this medication.
- Although rare, sildenafil (Revatio) can cause a serious type of lung condition called pulmonary veno-occlusive disease, which can cause fluid build-up in the lungs. If your PAH symptoms get worse, breathing becomes difficult when you lie down, or if you develop a cough that does not go away, seek medical help right away.
- Overdosing on Sildenafil tablet can increase the risk of side effects and taking it more frequently or with a higher dose will not improve the patient's condition. Additionally, patients should only stop taking Sildenafil if advised to do so by their healthcare professional.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take sildenafil (Revatio) to work?
Sildenafil (Revatio) reaches peak levels in the blood about 1 to 2 hours after each dose, though it may be a couple of months before the full benefits of the medication kick in. Taking sildenafil (Revatio) started to see noticeable improvements in exercise ability after about 4 weeks.
How often can you take sildenafil (Revatio)?
Take sildenafil 3 times a day and separate the doses by 4 to 6 hours. Taking it more frequently can raise your risk of side effects.
How long does the effect of Revatio last?
The effects of sildenafil (the active ingredient in Revatio) usually last for approximately 4-6 hours, with the maximum effect occurring between 30 minutes and 2.5 hours after taking the medication.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Revatio?
If a dose of Revatio is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for the next scheduled dose. In that case, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the regular time.
It's important to purchase Revatio from verified Canadian pharmacy.