Levitra generically known as Vardenafil is a prescription medication used to treat erectile dysfunction and other conditions. It belongs to the class of medications called phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors, which are commonly referred to as PDE-5 inhibitors. Levitra works by increasing blood flow to the penis and helps men maintain an erection during sexual activity.
Vardenafil cannot protect patients from sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis B, and HIV. Levitra is typically taken orally, with or without food, 30 to 60 minutes before sexual activity. The effects of Levitra can last for about four to five hours after taking the medication.
Uses and Dosage
Levitra is available in tablet form and should be taken orally, in accordance with the directions provided by your doctor. Typically, it should be taken as needed, approximately 1 hour prior to sexual activity, with or without food. Do not take more than one dose per day and doses should be taken a minimum of 24 hours apart. The prescribed dosage may vary based on your medical condition, response to treatment, and other medications you may be taking.
The starting dose for most people is 10 milligrams once per day taken 60 minutes before sexual activity, but doses can range from 5mg to 20mg. Patients should follow the dosage instructions provided by their doctor or pharmacist and should not exceed the recommended dosage, which should not exceed more than once daily.
Common Side Effects of Levitra (Vardenafil):
- Stomach upset
- Stuffy nose
- Warmth or redness around the face and neck
Serious Side Effects of Levitra (Vardenafil):
- Painful and prolonged erection
- Sudden vision or hearing loss
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular heartbeat
Form and strength
Levitra (Vardenafil)) is available in the following forms and strengths:
· Levitra: Tablet
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
· Vardenafil: Tablet
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- Avoid taking Vardenafil if they have a history of heart attack, stroke, chest pain, abnormal blood pressure, or heart failure in the past 6 months. The safety of vardenafil has not been established in these situations.
- If you are taking vardenafil, it is important to inform your doctor of all other medications you are taking as it has been known to prolong the QT interval and cause irregular heart rhythm. Your doctor may suggest safer alternatives for you to consider.
- If you are taking vardenafil, it may cause dizziness or vision changes, avoid driving, operating machinery, or any activity that requires alertness or clarity of vision until you can safely do so.
- Consumption of alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) can intensify these side effects, so it is recommended to limit their usage. Talk to your doctor if you are using marijuana (cannabis) alongside vardenafil.
- If you are taking Levitra, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice as it may increase the risk of side effects. Grapefruit is known to interact with this medicine, and you should obtain more details from your doctor or pharmacist to ensure safe consumption.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does the effect of this medication last?
The effects of this medication (vardenafil) may last for up to 4 hours.
Is this medication safe?
This medication is considered safe and effective to treat erectile dysfunction (ED).
How long does it take for Vardenafil to take effect?
Vardenafil will kick in about 30-60 minutes after taking it.