Table of contents:
Caverject Kit is a prescription medication used to treat male sexual function problems such as erectile dysfunction (ED), a condition characterized by the consistent inability to sustain an erection required for sexual intercourse.
Caverject Kit contains the active ingredient alprostadil. IT works as a prostaglandin E1 agonist, producing vasodilation effects and inhibiting platelet aggregation. By binding to receptors and increasing intracellular cyclic adenosine monophosphate, it induces relaxation of trabecular smooth muscle and dilation of the cavernosal arteries, resulting in an erection.
Use and Dosage
Use Caverject Kit exactly as directed by your healthcare provider. Your dosage of Caverject should not be altered as it is determined based on your medical condition and response to treatment. After administration, Caverject Kit typically produces an erection within five to twenty minutes, which usually lasts for approximately an hour. Use this injection no more than three times a week, with at least a day between each use.
Step by step guide on how to inject Caverject:
Preparing the syringe
- Before doing this procedure, do not forget to wash your hands thoroughly.
- Open the sterile pack of the syringe but do not entirely remove the wrapper. Expose the sterile open part of the needle assembly. Use a 21 – 27-gauge needle.
- Remove the plastic cap of the syringe from the tip. Be careful not to touch the syringe tip.
- While still in the wrapper, hold the needle assembly and attach the needle to the syringe tip firmly by turning it clockwise until tightened.
Preparing the dose
- Remove the Caverject vial’s plastic cap and the cover of the diluent.
- Wipe the rubber stopper of the vial and the diluent using an alcohol swab.
- Hold the syringe in the barrel and remove the needle cap carefully. Set the needle cap aside.
- Insert the needle right into the center of the diluent’s rubber stopper. Make sure that the needle tip is below the level of the liquid. Pull the plunger back until the diluent has been withdrawn.
- Push the plunger until the 1mL mark of the syringe to remove the air and eject extra liquid back into the diluent’s vial.
- Hold the side of the barrel and pull the needle out in a straight line.
- Push the needle all the way down into the center of Caverject’s vial.
- Without removing or touching the needle, gently swirl the vial until the powder is fully dissolved. Then, turn the vial and the syringe. Swirl it once more to dissolve the powder in the neck of the vial. Do not shake the vial.
- Turn the vial upside down again to its original position. With the needle below the level of liquid, pull the plunger back slowly until all the liquid is removed from the vial.
- If there are some air bubbles in the syringe, gently tap the barrel until the bubble floats to the top of the syringe. Gently eject the air.
- Replace the needle with a 29 or 30 gauge, one-half-inch needle.
Injecting the Solution
- Wipe the injection site with an alcohol swab and let it dry,
- If not circumcised, pull the foreskin back and hold the tip of your penis with your thumb and forefinger. Then, stretch it lengthwise down your thigh.
- Squeeze the penis between the thumb and another finger until the site bulges out. Position the penis against the thigh firmly to keep it from moving.
- Remove the needle cap or cover and push the needle straight into the proximal third of the penis. Make sure not to inject it into veins or blood vessels.
- Steadily and slowly push the plunger down to eject medication.
- Carefully pull the needle out of the site and press the injection site gently for 5 minutes using a cotton swab.
- Dispose of the syringe and needles accordingly.
Common Side Effects of Caverject Kit (Alprostadil):
- Pain in the penis
- Mild pain, irritation, and slight bleeding in the injection site
Serious Side Effects of Caverject Kit (Alprostadil):
- Bleeding at injection site
- Bruising at injection site
- Erections lasting longer than 4 hours
- Low blood pressure
- Numbness, irritation, sensitivity, itching, redness, skin tear, or discoloration in the penis
- Pain in the pelvis
- Penile rash
- Penile swelling
- Priapism or prolonged erection for more than 4 hours
- Scar tissue in the penis
- Tenderness or swelling of the penis
- Unusual curving or lumps in the penis
Forms and Strength
Caverject Kit (Alprostadil) is available in the following forms and strength:
Caverject Kit: Solution for Injection
- 20 mcg
- Caverject Kit should be used only as directed by a healthcare provider.
- People with certain medical conditions, such as bleeding disorders, sickle cell anemia, or leukemia, may be at a higher risk of complications with Caverject Kit and should consult with their healthcare provider before using it.
- Caverject Kit is not recommended for use in people with penile implants, curvature, or fibrosis.
- Caverject Kit may interact with other medications, inform the healthcare provider about all other medications being taken.
- Caverject Kit should not be used more than once per day or more than three times per week unless directed by a healthcare provider.
- Caverject Kit may cause prolonged erections (priapism), which can be painful and may require medical attention if it lasts for more than four hours.
- People with a history of hypersensitivity to alprostadil or any other ingredient in Caverject Kit should not use this medication.
- Caverject Kit may cause dizziness or fainting, avoid driving or operating machinery after using the medication.
- Use of Caverject Kit may increase the risk of sexually transmitted infections, practice safe sex and use appropriate barrier protection during sexual activity.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use Caverject Kit.
- Caverject Kit may cause injection site reactions, such as pain, swelling, or bruising at the injection site.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can anyone use Caverject Kit?
No, Caverject Kit is not suitable for everyone. People with certain medical conditions, such as penile implants, bleeding disorders, sickle cell anemia, or leukemia, should not use Caverject Kit.
Is Caverject Kit safe for use in women?
No, Caverject Kit is not recommended for use in women.
How often can I use Caverject Kit?
Caverject Kit should not be used more than once per day or more than three times per week unless directed by a healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Caverject Kit from verified Canadian pharmacy.