Cardura known by its generic name Doxazosin is a medication that has been used for treating high blood pressure and enlarged prostate. It belongs to the class of drugs called alpha- adrenergic blockers. It works by relaxing the muscles in the walls of the blood vessels, resulting in them widening and allowing easier passage of blood.
Cardura is an alpha-blocker used to treat hypertension and an enlarged prostate. By relaxing the muscle of the bladder neck and prostate, doxazosin reduces symptoms such as frequent urination, weak urinary stream, and difficulty in starting urination. This allows for improved urine flow and reduced symptoms related to BPH. Cardura is typically prescribed when other treatments have failed or are not appropriate for the condition.
Uses and Dosage
Cardura (Doxazosin) is available as a tablet to be taken orally with or without food, as directed by your doctor, usually once daily. Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
When taking Cardura, you may experience dizziness or drowsiness. Alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) can further increase this effect and make it more pronounced, so it is important to avoid driving, using machinery, or engaging in activities that require alertness or clear vision until you are certain that you are able to do so safely.
Common Side Effects of Doxazosin Include:
- Weight gain
Serious Side Effects of Doxazosin Include
- Chest pain
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Persistent sore throat
- Priapism or prolonged erection that could last for up to 4 hours
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the extremities
- Yellowish eyes and skin
Form and Strength
Cardura (Doxazosin) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- 1 mg
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- Avoid activities that could result in injury if a sudden drop in blood pressure were to occur. Generally, the risk is highest within 2 to 6 hours after taking the drug. To reduce the risk of sudden drops in blood pressure, patients taking doxazosin should be aware of the potential for dizziness and fainting, especially during the initial dosage period, after dosage increases, or after a period of discontinuation.
- Before taking Cardura, tell your doctor about your medical history, including any eye problems (cataracts, glaucoma), heart disease, liver disease, and any medications, supplements, or herbal products you are taking, as they may interact with this alpha-blocker.
- For pregnant and breastfeeding moms to use any medication only when absolutely necessary, as the risks to unborn and breast-fed babies are still unknown. As a precaution, pregnant and breastfeeding moms should consult their healthcare provider before taking any medication, to ensure that the medication is safe for them and their baby.
- Limit or avoid drinking alcohol while taking Cardura (Doxazosin). Alcohol can interact with doxazosin and increase the risk of side effects such as dizziness and drowsiness. Be aware of the potential for decreased alertness and practice safety caution when driving, using machinery, and engaging in activities that require alertness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long can I take doxazosin?
Usually, treatment with doxazosin is long term, even for the rest of your life. Talk to your doctor if you want to stop taking doxazosin. Suddenly stopping can make your condition worse.
When should I stop taking doxazosin?
Your doctor may advise you to stop taking doxazosin 2 weeks before surgery. This is because doxazosin may cause complications during the cataract operation. If you are having other types of surgery, talk to your nurse or doctor at your pre-assessment appointment.
How long does it take for Cardura to lower blood pressure?
Men taking this medication for BPH can start to feel relief within 1 to 2 weeks. Some people taking this medication for high blood pressure may start to have a lower blood pressure within 6 hours, although effects may not be felt until about 1 to 2 weeks later.