Table of contents:
Flomax (Tamsulosin) is a prescription medication used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and urinary hesitancy in men. Doctors widely prescribe it to relieve symptoms such as difficulty initiating urine flow, a weak urine stream, and frequent nighttime trips to the bathroom.
Flomax is a common medication used by men to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It belongs to a group of medicines known as alpha-blocker. Alpha-1 blocker works by relaxing the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, allowing urine to flow more freely.
Tamsulosin should be taken once daily, preferably in the morning after breakfast or the first meal of the day. Flomax can be used in combination with other BPH medications to help manage symptoms.
Uses and Dosage
The recommended dosage of Flomax is 0.4 mg once daily, usually taken 30 minutes after the same meal each day. In some cases, the doctor may adjust the dosage to 0.8 mg once daily. For maximum results, it should be taken consistently for one to two weeks.
You should follow the instructions of your doctor and take Flomax as prescribed. Never exceed the dosage or duration of treatment, as the risk of side effects may increase. As with any medication, talk to your doctor if you experience any side effects.
It is important to take tamsulosin regularly to get the most benefit from it. Children should not take this medication. If any of the side effects last or get worse, you should tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Common side effects of Flomax include:
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Back pain
- Blurred vision
- Decreased sex drive
- Dental problems
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Sore throat
Serious Side Effects from Flomax Including
- An erection that is painful or lasts more than four hours
- Severe dizziness
Form and strength
Flomax and its Affordable Generic Alternatives Tamsulosin are available in the following forms and strengths:
Flomax: ER Capsule
- 0.4 mg
Tamsulosin: ER Capsule
- 0.4 mg
When taking Flomax (Tamsulosin), there are several cautions to keep in mind.
- Flomax (Tamsulosin) should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take it in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Flomax should not be taken with other medications that relax the muscles, such as muscle relaxers or sedatives.
- Flomax can cause dizziness or lightheadedness, so it is important to avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how your body will react to the medication.
- Pregnant women or nursing mothers should not take Flomax as it is unknown if it may cause harm to the baby.
- It is not recommended for people with kidney or liver problems. If any of these conditions apply to you, speak to your doctor before taking Flomax.
- Do not give this medicine to children, unless on the advice of a specialist.
- You should avoid standing for prolonged periods of time or becoming overheated during exercise and in hot weather.
- You should also avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position. Orthostatic hypotension is a low blood pressure that happens when you stand up and can cause lightheadedness, dizziness, and fainting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should not take Flomax (Tamsulosin)?
Flomax (Tamsulosin) should not be taken by people with certain medical conditions, such as those with severe liver or kidney disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or those taking certain other medications. It is also not recommended for women or children.
What are the side effects of Flomax (Tamsulosin)?
The most common side effects of Flomax (Tamsulosin) include dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nasal congestion, and diarrhea. Other, more serious side effects can occur, such as an irregular heartbeat, chest pain, confusion, and fainting. If you experience any side effects, contact your doctor immediately.
How long does it take for Flomax (Tamsulosin) to work?
Flomax (Tamsulosin) usually begins to work within two to four hours. The effects of the medication can last for up to 24 hours. It is important to take Flomax (Tamsulosin) as prescribed by your doctor.
It's important to purchase Flomax from verified Canadian pharmacy.