Table of contents:
Requip XL is an oral medication used to treat Parkinson's disease. It can improve the patient's ability to move and decrease shakiness (tremor), stiffness, muscle spasms, and poor muscle control. It can be used alone or with other medications to treat Parkinson's disease.
Requip XL contains an active ingredient called Ropinirole Hydrochloride. Ropinirole is a non-ergoline dopamine agonist that works by helping to restore the balance of a natural substance called dopamine. Requip XL is an extended-release tablet that is designed to release medication over a 24-hour period.
Use and Dosage
Requip XL comes in the form of a tablet and should be taken by mouth, usually once daily with or without food, as directed by your doctor. Swallow the tablets whole and avoid crushing or chewing them as it could cause the drug to be released too quickly, increasing the risk of side effects.
The recommended dosage of Requip XL varies depending on the medical condition and response to treatment. However, the usual starting dose of Requip XL is 2 mg taken once daily for 1 to 2 weeks, followed by increases of 2 mg/day at weekly or longer intervals. The maximum recommended dose of Requip XL is 24 mg/day, but patients with advanced Parkinson's disease should be maintained at daily doses of 8 mg or 12 mg/day. To get the most benefit from Requip XL, use it regularly at the same time each day, and if you stop taking it for several days, you may need to gradually increase the dose back to your previous dose.
Do not stop taking Requip XL without consulting your doctor, as some conditions could worsen if the medication is suddenly stopped. Withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, depression, confusion, fever, and muscle stiffness may occur if the medication is abruptly discontinued, especially if you have been using it for a long time or in high doses. Your doctor may lower your dose slowly to help prevent withdrawal. Tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately if you experience withdrawal symptoms.
Common Side Effects of Requip XL (Ropinirole Hydrochloride):
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Stomach pain
- Worsened RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome) symptoms early in the morning
Serious Side Effects of Requip XL (Ropinirole Hydrochloride):
- Mental/mood changes (such as agitation, confusion, hallucinations)
- New or worsening uncontrolled movements (dyskinesia)
- Serious eye symptoms such as: sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights
- Serious heart symptoms such as: fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats; fluttering in your chest; shortness of breath; and sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, or passing out
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, profuse sweating, or tremors
- Unusual strong urges (such as increased gambling, increased sexual urges)
Forms and Strength
Requip XL (Ropinirole Hydrochloride) is available in the following forms and strength:
Requip XL: Tablet
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- 8 mg
- Requip XL may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or fainting, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a dose increase. Patients should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until they know how the medication affects them.
- Requip XL may cause hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there), confusion, or other mental changes. Patients should report any unusual thoughts or behaviors to their healthcare provider.
- Requip XL may cause a drop in blood pressure, which can lead to lightheadedness, fainting, or falls, particularly in older adults. Blood pressure should be monitored regularly, especially in the first few months of treatment.
- Requip XL may cause compulsive behaviors, such as gambling, overeating, or hypersexuality, particularly in patients with a history of these behaviors. Patients should report any compulsive behaviors to their healthcare provider.
- Requip XL should be used with caution in patients with a history of low blood pressure, heart or blood vessel problems, liver or kidney problems, or mental health conditions.
- Requip XL may interact with other medications, including certain antidepressants, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medications. Patients should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Requip XL interact with other medications?
Yes, Requip XL can interact with other medications. It should not be taken with medications that affect dopamine levels, such as antipsychotic or antidepressant drugs. Patients should always inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements.
Can Requip XL be taken if you have kidney problems?
Patients with renal impairment may need a lower dose of Requip XL, and their dosage may need to be adjusted. For patients to discuss their medical history and any potential risks with their healthcare provider before starting treatment with Requip XL.
Is Requip XL addictive?
Requip XL is not considered addictive. However, sudden discontinuation of the drug can cause withdrawal symptoms, so patients should never stop taking the drug without first consulting with their healthcare provider.
How long does it take for Requip XL to start working?
The time it takes for Requip XL to start working can vary, but it may take several weeks to see an improvement in symptoms. Patients should talk to their healthcare provider if they do not notice any improvement in their symptoms after taking the drug for a few weeks.
It's important to purchase Requip XL from verified Canadian pharmacy.