Table of contents:
Neo-Mercazole is used to treat hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland. The active ingredient in Neo-Mercazole, carbimazole, helps to reduce the formation of thyroid hormones in people with hyperthyroidism.
Neo-Mercazole is an anti-thyroid agent that helps to reduce the formation of thyroid hormones in people with an overactive thyroid gland. These include palpitations, feeling anxious, sweaty, or shaky, and being intolerant to heat.
Use and Dosage
Carbimazole is available in tablet form and is usually taken orally. To use Carbimazole tablet, follow the instructions of a healthcare provider. Typically, the tablets are taken orally with or without food, usually 2-3 times per day. Swallow the tablets whole with a glass of water. Do not chew or break the tablet, doing so can cause worsen side effects.
The recommended dosage of Carbimazole can vary depending on the individual's symptoms and their response to treatment. In general, the starting dose of Carbimazole is 15-20 mg per day, divided into 3-4 doses. After the initial period of therapy, the dose may be reduced to a maintenance dose of 5-15 mg per day, which is typically taken as a single dose. However, note that the specific dosage for Carbimazole should be determined by a qualified healthcare professional based on the individual's medical history and current condition. They may adjust the dosage based on factors such as the individual's weight, age, liver function, and thyroid hormone levels.
Take the tablet regularly and not to miss doses. Inform a healthcare provider about all other medications being taken, including over-the-counter medications and supplements, as Carbimazole may interact with other medications.
Common Side Effects of Neo-Mercazole (Carbimazole):
- Bone marrow toxicity
- Mouth ulcers
- Sore throat
- Stomach irritation
- Testicular pain
Forms and Strength
Neo-Mercazole (Carbimazole) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 5 mg
- 20 mg
- Carbimazole should not be used in people who are allergic to carbimazole or any other ingredients in the medication.
- People with severe liver or kidney disease may need to have their dose adjusted or be monitored more closely while taking Neo-Mercazole.
- Carbimazole may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, or skin rashes, which should be promptly reported to a doctor.
- Neo-Mercazole may interact with other medications, such as blood thinners, or increase the risk of certain side effects, such as bone marrow suppression or agranulocytosis.
- Carbimazole is not recommended for use during pregnancy, as it may harm the developing fetus.
- Neo-Mercazole may cause hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland) in some patients, especially with long-term use.
- Carbimazole may cause leukopenia (a decrease in white blood cells) in some patients, which can increase the risk of infections.
- Neo-Mercazole may affect blood clotting and increase the risk of bleeding, especially if taken with other medications that affect blood clotting.
- Carbimazole may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, which can affect a person's ability to operate machinery or engage in activities that require alertness or clarity of vision.
- Neo-Mercazole may interact with certain foods, such as iodine-rich foods, or with supplements containing iodine or iron.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Neo-Mercazole to work?
The time it takes for Neo-Mercazole to work can vary depending on the severity of hyperthyroidism. It may take several weeks to notice an improvement in symptoms.
Is it safe to breastfeed while taking Neo-Mercazole?
Neo-Mercazole may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby, so it is generally not recommended for use in breastfeeding mothers.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Neo-Mercazole?
If a dose of Neo-Mercazole is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, the missed dose should be skipped, and the regular dosing schedule should be resumed.
Can Neo-Mercazole cause weight gain?
Neo-Mercazole does not typically cause weight gain, but it may cause weight loss in some patients due to its effects on metabolism.
It's important to purchase Neo-Mercazole from verified Canadian pharmacy.