Table of contents:
Macrodantin is an antibiotic medication prescribed to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It contains an active ingredient called Nitrofurantoin. Nitrofurantoin belongs to a group of antibiotics known as nitrofurans. It works by stopping bacteria from producing the proteins needed for reproduction and growth, thus killing them off.
Nitrofurantoin is a synthetic antibiotic that is primarily used to treat or prevent urinary tract infections caused by bacteria. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria in the body. Macrodantin may also be used for other purposes, as prescribed by a doctor. It can be used for both short-term and long-term treatment, depending on the severity of the infection.
Uses and Dosage
Macrodantin comes in the form of a capsule that should be taken by mouth with food or milk, as directed by a healthcare provider. Swallow the capsule whole, without crushing or chewing them, unless otherwise instructed by your healthcare provider. For the prevention of urinary tract infections, Macrodantin is usually taken once daily at bedtime. In the case of treatment for an active infection, Macrodantin may be taken four times daily, with doses spaced evenly throughout the day.
Follow your doctor's instructions carefully, and complete the full course of treatment, even if you start feeling better before the medication is finished. The dosage and frequency of administration may vary depending on the individual's medical condition, age, and response to treatment.
- The recommended dosage of Macrobid capsules for people over 12 years old is typically 100 mg by mouth every 12 hours with food for 7 days.
- For children ages 1 month and older, the dose will depend on their body weight; it's typically taken as 1.25 mg/kg to 1.75 mg/kg by mouth four times a day with food. This medication is typically taken for 7 days or for at least 3 days after you have a urine test that shows it is free of bacteria.
Common Side Effects of Macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystal):
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle or joint pain
- Temporary hair loss
Serious Side Effects of Macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystal):
- Upset stomach
- Stomach pain
- "Pins and needles" feeling in the arms and legs
Form and strength
Macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystal) is available in the following forms and strengths:
Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystal: Capsule
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
- Avoid using magnesium trisilicate-containing antacids while taking this medication. Magnesium trisilicate-containing antacids bind with nitrofurantoin, preventing its full absorption.
- To prevent dehydration caused by mild diarrhea after taking nitrofurantoin (Macrobid), drink plenty of fluids and consider taking probiotic supplements.
- To avoid the antibiotic from killing the beneficial bacteria in the probiotic, take the probiotic supplement at least 2 hours apart from your nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) dose.
- Discuss with your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of taking nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) if you're pregnant. It might depend on how far along you are in your pregnancy.
- To ensure proper absorption of nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) and reduce stomach-related side effects, it is recommended to take it with food.
- To ensure that your infection is completely treated, take all the nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) that your healthcare provider has prescribed, even if you start to feel better. Stopping the antibiotic too soon can result in the infection returning and may require more aggressive treatment.
- Before taking nitrofurantoin, inform your doctor or pharmacist of any allergies you have. Nitrofurantoin may contain inactive ingredients that can trigger allergic reactions or other issues. Contact your pharmacist for further information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long do you take Macrodantin for UTI?
To treat a urinary tract infection, you usually need to take it for 3 to 7 days.
How long does nitrofurantoin take to work for a UTI?
Your antibiotic should start working within three to five days, although it may take up to a week for symptoms to clear. Be sure to complete the full course of medication.
How should I take Macrodantin?
Macrodantin should be taken with food or milk to help prevent stomach upset. It is important to take the medication exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider and to finish the full course of treatment.
Can Macrodantin be taken during pregnancy?
Macrodantin is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy, but it is important to talk to your healthcare provider before taking any medication during pregnancy.
Can Macrodantin be used to treat other types of infections?
Macrodantin is specifically used to treat urinary tract infections and should not be used to treat other types of infections.
It's important to purchase Macrodantin from verified Canadian pharmacy.