Table of contents:
Lescol, also known as Fluvastatin sodium, is a prescription medication used to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. It belongs to a class of drugs known as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins), which are used in combination with diet and exercise to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels in the body.
Fluvastatin works to reduce the amount of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the body while increasing the amount of good cholesterol. Lescol is usually prescribed along with a proper diet to help lower "bad" cholesterol (such as LDL and triglycerides) and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL) in the blood.
Uses and Dosage
Lescol is available in capsule form and should be taken orally as prescribed by your doctor. Typically, it is taken once daily in the evening, but some patients may be instructed to take it twice daily. Do not open the capsules and take the medication with or without food, depending on your doctor's instructions.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist of all products you use, including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products. If you are also taking bile acid-binding resins such as cholestyramine or colestipol to lower your cholesterol, take Lescol at least one hour before or four hours after taking these medications to prevent any reactions that may prevent Lescol from being fully absorbed.
The typical dosing for fluvastatin is between 20 mg and 80 mg per day, depending on several factors including the patient’s age, medical condition, and response to treatment. The starting dose for fluvastatin is typically 40 mg once per day with dinner or 40 mg twice per day.
Common Side Effects of Lescol (Fluvastatin):
- Indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Muscle pain or muscle weakness
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Lescol (Fluvastatin):
- Abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Feeling tired
- Lack of appetite
- Light-colored stools
- Urinary tract infection
- Yellow skin/eyes.
Form and Strength
Lescol (Fluvastatin) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 20 mg
- 40 mg
- 40 mg
- Monitoring blood glucose levels when the fluvastatin dose is changed, especially when taken with glyburide.
- The possibility of muscle problems or myopathy, which can in rare cases be serious and lead to kidney damage.
- The potential for liver problems, although these are rare.
- The possibility of memory loss or confusion in some patients, although this is also rare.
- The risk of rhabdomyolysis, which is a severe muscle breakdown that can cause kidney damage and even be life-threatening. This risk is increased in patients taking certain medications or with certain medical conditions, discuss any other medications you are taking with your doctor.
- The possibility of interactions with other medications, such as cyclosporine, which can increase the blood levels of fluvastatin and increase the risk of side effects.
- The potential for allergic reactions or hypersensitivity, which can cause symptoms such as rash, itching, and difficulty breathing. Patients should seek medical attention immediately if they experience these symptoms.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are there any foods or medications I should avoid while taking Lescol?
You should avoid drinking large amounts of grapefruit juice while taking Lescol, as it can increase the blood levels of the medication and increase the risk of side effects. Discuss any other medications, supplements, or herbal products you are taking with your doctor, as they can interact with Lescol and increase the risk of side effects.
Is fluvastatin a statin?
Yes, Fluvastatin belongs to a group of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins". fluvastatin is used to lower the risk of heart complications in certain people.
Can Lescol be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
Lescol should not be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, as it may harm the unborn baby or nursing infant. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about other treatment options for high cholesterol.
It's important to purchase Lescol from verified Canadian pharmacy.