Table of contents:
Questran Powder is a prescription medication used to lower elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood, especially low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad" cholesterol. It is also used to relieve pruritus (itching) associated with partial biliary obstruction.
Questran Powder contains the active ingredient cholestyramine, which is a bile acid-binding resin. It works by removing bile acid from the body, which causes the liver to produce more bile acid by converting more cholesterol into bile acid. Thus, it helps to lower the levels of cholesterol in the blood. It is available in both regular and Questran Light formulations.
Uses and Dosage
Questran Powder is for Suspension and taken by mouth as directed by a healthcare provider. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take cholestyramine exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Take Questran before a meal and/or at bedtime and try to take any other medications at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take it because cholestyramine can interfere with their absorption. Continue to take cholestyramine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking cholestyramine without talking to your doctor.
Here are general instructions on how to use Questran Powder:
- Measure the appropriate amount of powder using the dosing scoop provided, or as directed by your doctor.
- Mix the powder with at least 2 to 6 ounces of water or another non-carbonated beverage
- Stir well to make a suspension.
- Drink the suspension immediately after mixing.
- Rinse the glass with water and drink the rinse to ensure that the entire dose is taken.
The dosing instructions for Questran Powder may vary depending on individual circumstances, so it is important to follow the guidance of your healthcare provider. Also, it is recommended that you take Questran Powder at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after taking other medications, to avoid potential interactions that may reduce the effectiveness of other medications.
Common Side Effects of Questran Powder (Cholestyramine):
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Questran Powder (Cholestyramine):
- Unusual bleeding (such as bleeding from the gums or rectum)
Form and strength
Questran Powder (Cholestyramine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Questran Powder: Packet
- Questran Powder contains sugar and phenylalanine, so it is not suitable for people with phenylketonuria.
- There may be interference with drug absorption, so other medications should be taken at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after taking Questran Powder.
- Caution should be exercised when administering Questran Powder to people with a history of bowel obstruction or those who are prone to constipation.
- Questran Powder may cause severe allergic reactions, such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms while using Questran Powder.
- Cholestyramine may interact with certain medications, such as some antibiotics and blood thinners. It is important to inform your healthcare provider about any medications you are currently taking or plan to take while using Cholestyramine.
- Cholestyramine may cause gastrointestinal side effects, such as bloating, constipation, and nausea. It is important to stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet while using this medication to help manage these side effects.
- Cholestyramine should be used with caution in people with a history of bowel obstruction or those who are prone to constipation.
- Caution should be exercised when administering Cholestyramine to a nursing mother.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Questran Powder be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Do not take Questran Powder during pregnancy or while breastfeeding unless specifically prescribed by a doctor.
Is Questran Powder available in different formulations?
Yes, Questran Powder is available in both regular and Questran Light formulations.
Can Questran Powder be used in children?
Yes, Questran Powder can be used in children, but the dosage may need to be adjusted based on the child's weight and age. Follow the doctor's instructions carefully when giving Questran Powder to children.
It's important to purchase Questran Powder from verified Canadian pharmacy.