Table of contents:
Lescol XL is a prescription medication used along with a proper diet to help lower "bad" cholesterol and fats (such as LDL, triglycerides) and raise "good" cholesterol (HDL) in the blood. By doing so, it can help reduce the risk of heart disease and other negative cardiovascular events. It is an extended-release tablet that is taken orally and is usually prescribed in doses ranging from 40-80mg once daily, at bedtime.
Lescol XL contains the active ingredient Fluvastatin Sodium. It belongs to a class of drugs known as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, or "statins". It works by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which is involved in the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver.
Use and Dosage
Lescol XL (Fluvastatin XL) is available in the form of tablets that should be taken once daily by mouth, with or without food, as directed by your doctor. Swallow the tablets whole, without crushing or chewing them, to avoid releasing the full drug at once which can increase the risk of side effects.
Dosage may vary depending on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, and other medications you may be taking. Inform your healthcare provider about all the products you use, including prescription and non-prescription drugs, and herbal products.
If you are taking other drugs to lower your cholesterol, such as bile acid-binding resins like cholestyramine or colestipol, take fluvastatin at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after taking these medications to avoid interaction with fluvastatin that may prevent its full absorption.
To get the most benefit from Lescol XL, it is recommended to take it regularly at the same time each day, even if you feel well. It may take up to 4 weeks before achieving the full benefit of this drug. Continue following your doctor's advice about diet and exercise, as Lescol XL is most effective in combination with a healthy lifestyle.
Common Side Effects of Lescol XL (Fluvastatin XL):
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased sexual ability
- Difficulty sleeping
Serious Side Effects of Lescol XL (Fluvastatin XL):
- Abdominal pain
- Changes in sleep
- Changes in weight
- Clay-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Decreased interest in activities
- Excessive eating
- Frequent urination
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Memory problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor concentration
- Poor wound healing
- Unexplained weight loss
- Yellow skin or eyes
Forms and Strength
Lescol XL (Fluvastatin XL) is available in the following forms and strength:
Lescol XL: ER Tablet
Fluvastatin XL: ER Tablet
- Patients with a history of liver or kidney disease should be monitored closely while taking Lescol XL.
- Lescol XL can interact with other medications, including certain antibiotics or antifungal medications, let your doctor know about any other medications you are taking.
- Lescol XL may interact with grapefruit or grapefruit juice, which can increase the risk of side effects.
- Patients who have had an allergic reaction to fluvastatin or any of the inactive ingredients in Lescol XL should not take the medication.
- Lescol XL should not be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, unless specifically instructed by a healthcare provider.
- Lescol XL may cause myopathy (a condition that affects the muscles) which can lead to rhabdomyolysis (a type of muscle breakdown that releases muscle fiber contents into the blood).
- Lescol XL may interact with certain drugs used to treat HIV, as well as with other cholesterol-lowering medications such as fibrates or niacin.
- Lescol XL may rarely cause liver problems, so periodic liver function tests may be necessary.
- Patients taking Lescol XL may experience a decrease in blood sugar levels, especially if they are taking other medications to control diabetes.
- Lescol XL should be used with caution in patients with a history of alcohol abuse.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Lescol XL safe to take with other medications?
Speak with a healthcare provider before taking Lescol XL with other medications, as it may interact with certain drugs, such as antifungal medications, antibiotics, birth control pills, and heart medications.
How long does it take for Lescol XL to work?
The effects of Lescol XL may be seen within a few weeks, but it may take several months of treatment to see the full benefits.
Can Lescol XL be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Lescol XL should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as it may harm the developing baby.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Lescol XL?
If you miss a dose of Lescol XL, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
It's important to purchase Lescol XL from verified Canadian pharmacy.