Table of contents:
Colestid are a medication used to lower cholesterol levels in the blood. It can be used as adjunctive therapy to diet in the management of patients with elevated cholesterol levels who have not responded adequately to diet alone.
Colestid contain the active ingredient colestipol hydrochloride, which is a bile acid sequestrant. It works by binding to bile acids in the intestines and preventing them from being reabsorbed into the bloodstream. This leads to a decrease in the amount of bile acids in the body, which in turn forces the liver to use more cholesterol to produce new bile acids, thereby reducing the amount of cholesterol in the blood.
Use and Dosage
Colestid is an oral medication that comes in the form of granules. Your doctor will direct you to take it one or two times a day, with doses measured by the scoopful or in individual dose packets. Do not take the dry powder form and mix it in at least 3 ounces (90 milliliters) of liquid before drinking it completely. You may also mix it with watery soups, applesauce, or a pulpy fruit having a lot of juice.
The usual starting dose is 5 grams once or twice a day. After one or two months, your doctor may increase your dose by 5 grams daily at monthly intervals. It may take several weeks before the full benefit of this drug is achieved. Take Colestid regularly at the same time(s) each day and even if you feel well. Most people with high cholesterol do not feel sick, continue taking the medication as directed. Additionally, Colestid may decrease the absorption of other medications, follow your doctor's instructions regarding taking other medications at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after colestipol.
Take Colestid Granules exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Colestid Granules (Colestipol Hydrochloride):
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rectal irritation
- Stomach or abdominal pain
Serious Side Effects of Colestid Granules (Colestipol Hydrochloride):
- Bloody/black/tarry stools
- Chest pain or pressure
- Difficulty swallowing
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle or joint pain
- Rapid breathing
- Severe constipation
- Severe stomach/abdominal pain
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
Forms and Strength
Colestid Granules (Colestipol Hydrochloride) is available in the following forms and strength:
Colestid Granules: Granules
- 5 g
- Colestipol may interact with other medications, including thyroid hormones, digitalis, and warfarin, among others. Talk to your doctor about all the medications you are taking before starting Colestid Granules.
- Colestipol may decrease the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, including vitamins A, D, E, and K. Your doctor may recommend a vitamin supplement or monitoring of your vitamin levels.
- Colestipol may cause gastrointestinal side effects, including constipation, bloating, and nausea. Talk to your doctor if you experience these side effects.
- Colestipol should be taken with a full glass of water or other fluid to prevent intestinal obstruction.
- Colestipol should not be taken within 1 hour of taking other medications or supplements to avoid interactions.
- Colestipol may cause a decrease in appetite and/or weight loss. However, these side effects may not be seen in all patients.
- Colestipol may also decrease the absorption of certain medications, including thiazide diuretics, penicillin G, and tetracycline. These medications should be taken at least 1 hour before or 4-6 hours after Colestid Granules.
- Colestipol may interfere with certain laboratory tests, including thyroid function tests and certain blood cholesterol and triglyceride tests. Inform your doctor or laboratory personnel before undergoing any tests.
- Colestipol is not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as its safety during these times is not established.
- Colestipol may also interact with alcohol. Talk to your doctor if you consume alcohol frequently or in large amounts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Colestid to start working?
Colestid may take several weeks to start working effectively in lowering cholesterol levels. Continue taking the medication even if no immediate results are noticed.
Can Colestid be taken with food?
Yes, Colestid should be taken with meals and mixed with a liquid of your choice, such as water or juice.
Can Colestid be used to treat other conditions?
Colestid is only used to lower cholesterol levels and is not indicated for the treatment of other conditions.
Is Colestid safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
The safety of Colestid during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not established. Talk to your doctor about the potential risks and benefits of taking Colestid during these times.
It's important to purchase Colestid Granules from verified Canadian pharmacy.