Table of contents:
Livalo generically known as pitavastatin is a prescription medication used to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. It belongs to a class of drugs called HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, or statins, which block an enzyme in the liver that affects how much cholesterol your body produces. By reducing the amount of bad cholesterol in your bloodstream, Livalo can help lower your risk of developing cardiovascular disease or having a stroke.
Livalo is a prescription medication used to lower cholesterol levels in patients with high cholesterol. Although it is primarily used to lower LDL cholesterol levels, Pitavastatin has a minor effect on lowering triglycerides. It is prescribed to people with high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, particularly those who have been unable to reduce their levels with diet and exercise alone.
Uses and Dosage
Livalo is taken in tablet form orally, either with or without food, as prescribed by your doctor, generally once daily. Swallow the whole Livalo tablet and drink a glass of water afterward. Cutting, chewing, or crushing the tablet is not advised. The prescribed dosage will depend on your medical condition, response to treatment, and other medicines you may be taking.
The recommended starting dosage of Livalo is 2 mg once daily. The maximum recommended dosage is 4 mg once daily. However, the specific dosage prescribed for you may vary depending on your medical condition, response to treatment, and other medications you may be taking.
Common Side Effects of Livalo (Pitavastatin):
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
Serious Side Effects of Livalo (Pitavastatin):
- Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar
- Memory loss
- Muscle weakness
- Signs of kidney disease (changes in the amount of urine)
- Signs of liver problems (stomach pain, persistent vomiting, dark urine, yellowish skin, or eyes)
- Symptoms of rhabdomyolysis and autoimmune myopathy (unexplained muscle pain/tenderness, fatigue, fever)
Form and Strength
Livalo (Pitavastatin) is available in the following forms and strengths:
Livalo: Film-Coated Tablet
- 1 mg
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- 1 mg
- 2 mg
- 4 mg
- Livalo should not be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding, as it may harm the unborn or nursing infant. Consult with your doctor before taking Livalo if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Patients should avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking Livalo, as it can increase the risk of side effects.
- Before taking pitavastatin, ensure to inform your doctor or pharmacist of any known allergies, including allergies to this medication, or any inactive ingredients that may cause allergic reactions or other complications.
- To use pitavastatin safely, inform your doctor or pharmacist of your medical history, especially if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or alcohol use. Some other medical conditions or medications may also affect the use of this medication.
- Limit the consumption of alcoholic beverages when using pitavastatin as daily use of alcohol may increase the risk for liver problems. This risk can be further compounded when combined with pitavastatin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I take Livalo with other medications?
Yes, but inform your doctor and pharmacist about all the medications you are taking, as some medications may interact with Livalo and increase the risk of side effects.
How long does it take for Livalo to work?
Livalo can start to work quickly to lower cholesterol levels, but it can take several weeks to see the full effects. Blood cholesterol levels should be monitored regularly while taking Livalo.
Can Livalo be taken at night?
Livalo can be taken at any time of day, with or without food. Patients should follow their healthcare provider's instructions for dosing.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Livalo?
If you miss a dose of Livalo, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
It's important to purchase Livalo from verified Canadian pharmacy.