Table of contents:
Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit is an antacid medication that provides fast and long-lasting relief from heartburn and acid reflux. It contains 313 mg of Alginic Acid and 63 mg of Magnesium Carbonate per tablet.
When ingested, these ingredients work together to create a temporary foam barrier on top of the stomach contents. The foam barrier serves as a physical barrier, limiting the amount of stomach acid that refluxes back up into the esophagus, thereby reducing the symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux.
Use and Dosage
Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit comes in the form of a chewable tablet to take by mouth and can be taken with or without water. Chew the tablets thoroughly before swallowing, and do not exceed the recommended dosage.
Typically, the recommended dosage is 2-4 tablets after meals and at bedtime, or as needed for symptom relief. In case of uncertainty or if you have any underlying health conditions, please consult your doctor or pharmacist for proper guidance on the usage of Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit.
Common Side Effects of Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit (Alginic Acid/Magnesium Carbonate - non-Rx):
- An allergic reaction (itching, rash, swelling, difficulty breathing)
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Severe dizziness
- Stomach cramps
- Unusual tiredness
Forms and Strength
Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit (Alginic Acid/Magnesium Carbonate - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit: Chewable Tablet (Fruit)
- Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to the ingredients in Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit, which can cause symptoms such as skin rashes, itching, and swelling. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop using the medication and seek medical attention.
- Constipation: Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit may cause constipation in some people.
- Interactions with other medications: It can interact with other medications, so be sure to inform your healthcare provider if you are taking any other medications or supplements.
- Interference with medicines and food: Gaviscon Fruit may interfere with the absorption and efficacy of certain medications and nutrients like tetracyclines, chloroquine, iron supplements, and others.
- Kidney disease: People with kidney disease may need to use caution when taking Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit, as it contains elevated levels of aluminum and magnesium which can accumulate in the body and potentially cause harm.
- Overuse: Overuse of Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit may cause an imbalance of electrolytes, which can lead to serious health complications such as irregular heartbeat, seizures, and kidney failure.
- Serious side effects: While rare, Gaviscon may cause serious side effects such as irregular heartbeat, muscle weakness or muscle pain, and swelling of the face, tongue, and throat. Seek medical attention if you experience any of these.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I take Gaviscon Extra Strength Antacid with other medications?
Gaviscon may interact with some prescription medications, so speak with your healthcare provider before taking it if you are on other medications.
Are there any known side effects of Gaviscon Extra Strength Antacid?
Some people may experience side effects such as constipation or diarrhea. If you experience any unusual symptoms or side effects, speak with your healthcare provider.
Is Gaviscon Extra Strength Antacid safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
Speak with a healthcare provider before taking any medication during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
How quickly does Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit work?
It works quickly, usually providing relief within 5 minutes of taking it.
It's important to purchase Gaviscon Extra Strength Fruit from verified Canadian pharmacy.