Pancrease MT 10 is a medication used to treat conditions where the pancreas cannot produce or release enough enzymes to digest food properly, such as chronic pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, and pancreatic cancer. It is typically taken with meals or snacks to support healthy digestion and prevent malabsorption of nutrients.
Pancrease MT 10 contains the active ingredient pancrelipase. It is a type of medication that belongs to a class of drugs called enzymes. Pancreatic enzymes such as lipase, protease, and amylase are essential for the digestion and absorption of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates in the body. It works by breaking down these macronutrients into smaller molecules, which can be absorbed by the small intestine and used by the body for energy and other functions.
Use and Dosage
Pancrease MT 10 is available in capsule form and should be taken orally with meals and snacks according to your doctor’s instructions. It is usually taken three times a day, either with meals or immediately afterward, to aid in the digestion of fats, starches, and proteins. Swallow the capsule whole and avoid crushing or chewing it, as this may cause mouth irritation and alter the effectiveness of the medication.
If swallowing the capsule is challenging, the contents of the capsule may be mixed into a small amount of soft food or liquid that does not require chewing, such as room-temperature applesauce. However, avoid mixing the contents of the capsule with alkaline food or liquid, such as milk, ice cream, or tea, as they may interfere with the medication’s action. Further information about which foods or liquids to avoid when mixing, such as infant formula or breast milk, can be obtained from your doctor or pharmacist.
After mixing, swallow the food or liquid immediately, making sure not to chew the medication. Drink a glass of water or juice after swallowing the mixture, ensuring that all the medication is consumed. Do not keep the medication mixture for later use.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Pancrease MT 10 (Pancrealipase):
- Sore throat and cough
Serious Side Effects of Pancrease MT 10 (Pancrealipase):
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal pain
- Cold sweat
- Cool pale skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive eating
- Fast heartbeat
- Frequent urination
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased thirst
- Irritation around the anal area
- Joint pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Poor wound healing
- Swelling of the face and throat
- Unexplained weight loss
- Warmth of joints
Forms and Strength
Pancrease MT 10 (Pancrealipase) is available in the following forms and strength:
Pancrease MT 10: Capsule
- Pancrease MT 10 may interact with other drugs or herbal supplements, keep a list of all the products you use and discuss with your doctor before starting Pancrease MT 10.
- Pancrease MT 10 should be used with caution in patients with a history of allergy or sensitivity to pork products.
- Use of Pancrease MT 10 may increase the risk of developing fibrosing colonopathy, a rare condition that affects the large intestine.
- Pancrease MT 10 may not be safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, so pregnant or nursing mothers should consult with their doctor before taking Pancrease MT 10.
- Pancrease MT 10 may not be suitable for people with a known hypersensitivity to porcine proteins or who have a history of bowel obstruction.
- Pancrease MT 10 should be used with caution in patients with a history of gout, as it may increase uric acid levels in the blood.
- Patients with a history of high blood uric acid levels, kidney or liver disease, or gastric ulcers should use Pancrease MT 10 with caution, as it may exacerbate these conditions.
- Patients taking Pancrease MT 10 should be monitored for signs of hyperuricemia, pancreatitis, or worsening of their underlying condition.
- Pancrease MT 10 may impair the body’s ability to absorb certain vitamins or minerals, such as vitamin B12, folate, and iron, so patients may need to supplement their diet with these nutrients.
- Patients with cystic fibrosis who take Pancrease MT 10 may be at an increased risk of developing colonic strictures or structure-related complications, so they should be closely monitored by a healthcare professional.
- Pancrease MT 10 may cause skin rash or pruritus (itching) in some patients, especially those who are allergic to pork products or any of the medication’s constituents.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can children take Pancrease MT 10?
Yes, Pancrease MT 10 is approved for use in children and may be prescribed by a pediatrician for the treatment of pancreatic insufficiency.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Pancrease MT 10?
If you miss a dose of Pancrease MT 10, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
How long does it take for Pancrease MT 10 to start working?
The onset of action of Pancrease MT 10 may vary depending on individual factors such as the severity of pancreatic insufficiency and the amount of food consumed. In general, it may take up to 30-60 minutes for Pancrease MT 10 to start working to aid in digestion.