Table of contents:
Galvus is a medication used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. It is typically taken with food and exercise to improve glycemic control, but it should only be used with a prescription.
Galvus active ingredient is vildagliptin, which belongs to a class of drugs called DPP-4 (dipeptidyl peptidase 4) inhibitors and works by lowering blood sugar levels.
Use and Dosage
Galvus comes in the form of tablet to take it orally usually once in a month. Do not chew or break Galvus tablets as they are meant to be swallowed whole. Breaking or chewing the tablet may affect its efficacy and can lead to adverse effects.
The typical dose is one 50 mg tablet taken twice a day for Galvus brand, but dosing may vary depending on what other medications are being taken. If directed to take one dose per day, take it in the morning. For those directed to take two doses, take the first in the morning and the second in the evening. The vildagliptin tablets may be taken before, during, or after meals.
If a dose is missed, take it as soon as you remember, unless it is nearing the time for the next scheduled dose. Never take two doses together to make up for a missed dose.
Common Side Effects of Galvus (Vildagliptin):
- Swelling in hands or feet
- Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
- Muscle pain
- Stomach upset
- Joint pain
Serious Side Effects of Galvus (Vildagliptin):
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- Low blood sugar when used in combination with other diabetes medications
- Severe joint pain
- Liver damage
Forms and Strength
Galvus (Vildagliptin) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 50 mg
- Pancreatitis: Caution should be exercised in patients with a history of acute pancreatitis when taking Galvus.
- Use with sulfonylureas: Patients should be cautious when taking a sulfonylurea in combination with Galvus.
- Availability: Galvus may not be available in some countries, such as the United States.
- Glucose-dependent effects: The low hypoglycemic potential of vildagliptin reflects the glucose-dependent nature of both the insulinotropic and the glucagonostatic effects of the drug.
- Use with CKD: Metformin should be prescribed with caution in patients with an eGFR less than 30 mL/min/1.73m2 and Galvus should be used with caution in these patients.
- FDA (Food and Drug Administration) warning: The FDA has warned that the use of some DPP-4 inhibitors, including vildagliptin, may be associated with an increased risk of heart failure.
- Excipients: Patients should be aware of the excipients in Galvus and check for any potential allergies or intolerances.
- Use in pregnancy and breastfeeding: The safety and efficacy of Galvus have not been established in pregnant or breastfeeding women, and it should only be used if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks.
- Elderly patients: Galvus should be used with caution in elderly patients.
- Use in liver disease: Galvus should be used with caution in patients with liver disease.
- Hypersensitivity: Patients with a history of hypersensitivity to vildagliptin or any of the excipients should be cautious when taking Galvus.
- Use in renal impairment: Galvus should be used with caution in patients with renal impairment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Galvus be used in combination with other diabetes medications?
Yes, Galvus can be used in combination with other diabetes medications, such as metformin or insulin, to help control blood sugar levels. However, discuss any medication changes or additions with your doctor.
Is Galvus available in generic form?
Yes, vildagliptin is available in generic form as well as under the brand name Galvus.
Is Galvus safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
The safety of Galvus during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking Galvus if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How long does it take for Galvus to start working?
Galvus starts working within 1 hour of taking it, and its effects can last for up to 24 hours.
It's important to purchase Galvus from verified Canadian pharmacy.