Table of contents:
Fragmin Vial is an injectable medication used to prevent and treat harmful blood clots. It is commonly used in the prevention of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can lead to pulmonary embolism, and in the treatment of unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction.
Fragmin can be used to reduce the recurrence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) and other conditions where the risk of blood clots is high.
The active ingredient in Fragmin is dalteparin sodium. Dalteparin is a type of medication called low-molecular-weight heparin. It belongs to a class of medications called anticoagulants or antithrombotic agents. It works by inhibiting the clotting activity of coagulation factors in the blood, which helps to prevent harmful blood clots from forming.
Use and Dosage
Fragmin Vial is typically administered through subcutaneous injection, which means that it is injected into the layer of tissue just beneath the skin. It should be given in a hospital setting, dalteparin is given intravenously (into the vein).
Fragmin injection can be given into the abdominal subcutaneous tissue anterolaterally or posterolaterally, or into the thigh. The specific dosing instructions for Fragmin Vial may vary depending on the patient's individual condition and treatment plan, therefore follow the healthcare provider's instructions carefully.
To use the medication:
- Wash your hands and clean the injection site with an alcohol swab. Do not rub the injection site.
- Remove the needle shield. Avoid pressing on the syringe plunger so as not to lose any of the syringe content. Hold the syringe like a pencil.
- Pinch a fold of skin in the lower (left or right) region of your abdomen. Choose a different injection site for each injection so that you are not always injecting the same area.
- While holding the skin fold, insert the entire needle into the skin fold vertically and press the syringe plunger down completely.
- Remove the needle and let go of the syringe plunger. (The syringe will move into the device until the needle is guarded.)
- Apply pressure to the injection site with the alcohol swab for 5 to 10 seconds. Do not rub the injection site.
- Safely dispose of the used syringe device in approved containers and keep it out of the reach of children.
The Fragmin Vial solution should be clear and colorless, and any solution that appears cloudy or discolored should not be used. Additionally, the injection site should be rotated with each injection to help prevent irritation or other adverse reactions. Patients should also be sure to properly dispose of any used syringes and needles in accordance with their healthcare provider's instructions.
Common Side Effects of Fragmin Vial (Dalteparin Sodium):
- Chest pain
- Fainting, or swelling in your hands or feet
- Injection site reactions (pain, redness, bruising, swelling)
- Rapid breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Serious Side Effects of Fragmin Vial (Dalteparin Sodium):
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Pain, redness, irritation, bruising, or swelling where the medicine was injected.
- Unusual or prolonged bleeding
- Unusual or easy bruising
- Purple or red pinpoints under your skin
- Dark urine
- Black or bloody stools
- Severe headache
- Trouble concentrating
- Vision changes
- Unusual dizziness
- Pale skin
- Shortness of breath
- Trouble breathing
- Rapid heart rate
- Coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Loss of movement in any part of your body
- Problems with speech vision or balance
- Sudden weakness
- Numbness, tingling, or muscle weakness (especially in your legs and feet)
Forms and Strength
Fragmin Vial (Dalteparin Sodium) is available in the following forms and strength:
Fragmin Vial: Vial
- Spinal/epidural hematomas: Fragmin can cause very serious bleeding around the spine if you undergo a spinal tap or receive spinal anesthesia.
- Benzyl alcohol: The multidose vial of Fragmin contains benzyl alcohol as a preservative, which can be harmful to premature or newborn babies, pediatric patients, and pregnant women.
- Bleeding risks: Fragmin can increase the risk of bleeding, especially in people with a history of bleeding disorders, stomach or intestinal bleeding, or uncontrolled high blood pressure.
- Allergic reactions: Fragmin may cause allergic reactions, including hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Other medical conditions: Fragmin should be used with caution in people with certain medical conditions, such as liver or kidney disease, diabetes, or low platelet levels.
- Drug interactions: Fragmin can interact with other medications, such as aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), warfarin, or other blood thinners, and may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Fragmin should be used with caution in pregnant or breastfeeding women, as it may pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby.
- Surgery or invasive procedures: Fragmin should be used with caution before and after surgery or invasive procedures, as it may increase the risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Elderly patients: Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the effects of Fragmin and may be at higher risk of bleeding, especially if they have kidney problems.
- Monitoring: Patients using Fragmin should be monitored regularly for signs of bleeding or changes in blood tests.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long should Fragmin Vial treatment last?
The duration of treatment with Fragmin Vial will depend on the specific medical condition being treated and the individual patient's response to the medication. Healthcare providers will typically closely monitor the patient's condition and adjust treatment, as necessary.
How often should Fragmin Vial be administered?
The dosing and frequency of Fragmin Vial injections may vary depending on the patient's individual condition and treatment plan. Follow the healthcare provider's instructions.
How is Fragmin Vial administered?
Fragmin Vial is administered through subcutaneous injection.
How should Fragmin Vial be stored?
Opened vials of multiple-dose Fragmin should be stored at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
It's important to purchase Fragmin Vial from verified Canadian pharmacy.