Desowen Lotion is a topical medication, it is a low to medium potency corticosteroid and is primarily used to treat mild to moderate eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and other inflammatory skin conditions. It can be used to reduce inflammation and itching associated with a variety of skin conditions.
Desowen Lotion contains the active ingredient desonide. Desonide works by activating natural substances in the skin to reduce inflammation, itching, and redness associated with various skin conditions. When it is applied topically to the affected area of the skin, it has anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, and vasoconstrictive properties. These properties help to lower the amount of inflammatory chemicals in the body, thereby relieving symptoms of various skin conditions, including eczema, dermatitis, allergies, and rash, among others.
Use and Dosage
Desowen Lotion is applied topically to the skin and should only be used as directed by a doctor. The lotion should be applied twice daily, or as directed by a doctor. Before use, shake the bottle well and wash your hands. Clean and dry the affected area before applying a thin film of
Desowen Lotion and gently rubbing it in twice daily, or as directed by your doctor. Do not cover the affected area with bandages or dressings unless directed to do so by your doctor. When applying Desowen Lotion near the eyes, nose, or mouth, avoid getting it in these areas to prevent irritation or worsening of any pre-existing conditions. Rinse with water if the lotion comes into contact with these areas. Use this medication only for the condition prescribed.
Avoid getting the lotion in your eyes, nose, or mouth, and do not apply it to the face, groin, or underarms unless directed by your doctor. Do not cover the affected area with bandages or dressings after applying the lotion, unless directed by your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Desowen Lotion (Desonide):
- Changes in color of treated skin
- Crusting of treated skin
- Scaly skin
- Skin rash or irritation around your mouth
- Stretch marks
- Swollen hair follicles
- Thinning or softening of your skin
Serious Side Effects of Desowen Lotion (Desonide):
- Blurred vision or seeing halos around lights
- Feeling tired
- Mood changes
- Muscle weakness
- Puffiness in your face
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Weight gain
Forms and Strength
Desowen Lotion (Desonide) is available in the following forms and strength:
Desowen Lotion: Lotion
- Do not use Desowen Lotion if you are allergic to desonide or any other corticosteroids.
- Desowen Lotion should only be used as directed by a doctor and should not be applied to open wounds or infected skin.
- Long-term use of Desowen Lotion may increase the risk of side effects such as thinning of the skin, stretch marks, and changes in skin color.
- Desowen Lotion should not be used on the face, groin, or underarms, as these areas are more susceptible to side effects.
- If you experience any signs of an allergic reaction, such as hives, difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, seek medical attention immediately.
- It is important to inform your doctor if you have any underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes or a weakened immune system, as these conditions can increase the risk of side effects from Desowen Lotion.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their doctor before using Desowen Lotion, as it may pose a risk to the developing fetus or nursing infant.
- Desowen Lotion should not be used on children without the guidance of a doctor.
- Desowen Lotion may interact with other medications, and it is important to inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking before using it.
- Do not cover the affected area with bandages or dressings after applying Desowen Lotion, unless directed by a doctor.
- If you experience symptoms such as skin thinning or stretch marks, it is important to notify your doctor promptly.
- Use Desowen Lotion with caution if you have a history of allergies or if you are prone to skin infections.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Desowen Lotion be used to treat acne?
Desowen Lotion is not typically used to treat acne, as it is primarily used to reduce inflammation and itching associated with other skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
How long does it take for Desowen Lotion to start working?
The time it takes for Desowen Lotion to start working may vary depending on the severity of the skin condition being treated. Some people may notice an improvement in their symptoms within a few days, while it may take longer for others.
Can I use Desowen Lotion with other topical medications?
You should always consult with your doctor before using Desowen Lotion with other topical medications, as some combinations may increase the risk of side effects.
Is Desowen Lotion a steroid?
Yes, Desowen Lotion contains the corticosteroid desonide, which helps reduce inflammation and itching.
Can I use Desowen Lotion on my scalp?
Desowen Lotion is not typically used on the scalp, as it may be difficult to apply the lotion properly to this area.