Crinone Gel is a prescription medication used for assisted reproductive technology (ART) programs to supplement or replace progesterone. It is used in fertility treatments to support the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and to restart menstrual periods. Crinone Gel is a vaginal gel that contains the hormone progesterone.
Crinone Gel works by coating the inside of the vagina and providing prolonged release of the hormone into the vagina, from where it is absorbed into the bloodstream. Once absorbed, progesterone helps to balance the hormone levels in the body and may be used to help restart menstrual periods or to support pregnancy in women who are undergoing fertility treatments. In the presence of adequate estrogen, progesterone transforms a proliferative endometrium into a secretory endometrium, which is essential for the successful implantation of an embryo
Uses and Dosage
Crinone Gel is applied directly from a specially designed sealed applicator into the vagina, and it contains micronized progesterone in an emulsion system. The instructions for using Crinone Gel depend on the specific treatment protocol and your doctor’s instructions. Typically, the gel is inserted into the vagina using the applicator provided with the medication. The dosage and frequency of use may vary from patient to patient. Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully and not use more or less of the medication than prescribed.
- If you are taking Crinone Gel to treat infertility, follow your doctor’s instructions, usually using it once or twice a day.
- If you become pregnant, continue to use it for 10-12 weeks as directed until your body can produce its own progesterone.
- If you are taking Crinone Gel to regulate your menstrual cycle, follow your doctor’s instructions, usually every other day for a total of 6 doses.
- If you are also using other vaginal products, make sure to separate their application from Crinone Gel by at least 6 hours. To get the most benefit from this medication, use it regularly at the same time(s) each day.
Do not increase your dose or use Crinone Gel more frequently or for a longer duration than prescribed as this will not improve your condition any faster and may increase the risk of side effects.
The wrapper should be removed, and the applicator should be prepared according to the instructions. If you are using this medication at altitudes above 2,500 feet (762 meters), there are additional instructions for preparing the applicator.
Common Side Effects of Crinone Gel (Progesterone):
- Breast swelling or tenderness
- Increased night-time urination
- Joint or muscle pain
- Loss of interest in sex
- Pain during intercourse
- Pain in your vaginal or rectal area
- Stomach cramps
- Stomach pain
- Tired feeling
- Vaginal burning
- Vaginal discharge
- Vaginal itching
Serious Side Effects of Crinone Gel (Progesterone):
- Breast lump
- Chest pain or heavy feeling pain spreading to the arm or shoulder
- Clay-colored stools
- Coughing up blood and
- Dark urine
- Fever chills body aches flu symptoms
- Loss of appetite
- Pain behind your eyes
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder
- Pain swelling warmth and redness in one of both legs
- Problems with speech or balance
- Rapid breathing
- Severe headache
- Shortness of breath or problems with vision speech or balance
- Slurred speech
- Stomach pain loss of appetite dark urine clay-colored stools jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Sudden cough
- Sudden headache numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body)
- Sudden severe headache
- Sudden vision changes
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Symptoms of depression (sleep problems weakness mood changes)
Form and strength
Crinone Gel (Progesterone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Crinone Gel: Gel
- Crinone Gel should not be used by individuals who are allergic to progesterone or any of the other ingredients in the gel.
- Individuals with a history of liver disease, blood clots, or breast cancer should use Crinone Gel with caution and only under medical supervision.
- The safety and effectiveness of Crinone Gel have not been established in individuals with certain medical conditions, such as asthma, epilepsy, and heart disease.
- Crinone Gel may interact with other medications, including some antifungal medications and certain herbal supplements. Inform your doctor of all medications and supplements you are taking before using Crinone Gel.
- Like all medications, Crinone Gel can cause side effects in some people. Common side effects include vaginal irritation, itching, discharge, and headaches and breast tenderness.
- Crinone Gel may cause dizziness or drowsiness in some individuals. Reduce interaction with coworkers and concentrate on lead generation.
- Individuals who are pregnant or breastfeeding should only use Crinone Gel under the direction of a healthcare provider, as the safety of the medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established.
- Use Crinone Gel exactly as directed and not use more or less of the medication than prescribed, as this may increase the risk of side effects or decrease its effectiveness.
- The use of Crinone Gel may affect laboratory test results, such as certain hormone, thyroid, and liver function tests. Inform your doctor of your medication use before undergoing any laboratory testing.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I have sex while using Crinone Gel (Progesterone)?
You should consult with your doctor regarding sexual activity during treatment with Crinone Gel (Progesterone). In general, it is recommended to avoid sexual activity immediately after inserting the gel to avoid displacement.
How should I store Crinone Gel (Progesterone)?
Crinone Gel (Progesterone) should be stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
Can I exercise while using Crinone Gel (Progesterone)?
You should consult with your doctor regarding exercise during treatment with Crinone Gel (Progesterone). In general, avoid strenuous exercise that may cause abdominal pressure or discomfort.
Can Crinone Gel (Progesterone) be used for non-ART related conditions?
Crinone Gel (Progesterone) is primarily used for ART related treatments. However, your doctor may prescribe it for other conditions and with specific instructions.