Table of contents:
Monistat Cream is an over-the-counter antifungal cream indicated to treat vaginal yeast infections. It relieves vaginal itching, burning and white discharge due to vaginal yeast infections (candidiasis). Monistat cream contains an active ingredient, typically miconazole nitrate. Miconazole nitrate works by inhibiting the growth of fungi, which helps to reduce the symptoms of fungal infections.
Miconazole nitrate is an antifungal medication that is used to treat a variety of fungal infections, including ringworm, athlete's foot, jock itch, and vaginal yeast infections. That fights yeast and is applied inside the vagina to treat and cure a yeast infection.
Uses and Dosage
The instructions for using Miconazole nitrate cream may vary depending on the specific product and the condition being treated. In general, the cream should be applied to the affected area according to the instructions on the packaging.
The frequency of application for Miconazole nitrate cream may vary depending on the specific product and the condition being treated. Follow the instructions on the packaging and talk to a healthcare professional if you have any questions or concerns.
The recommended dosage for Miconazole nitrate vaginal cream 2% USP for the treatment of a vaginal yeast infection is as follows:
- For adults and children 12 years of age and over: fill the applicator with the cream and insert one application of cream vaginally at bedtime for 7 consecutive days.
- For children under 12 years of age: consult a doctor.
Common Side Effects of Monistat Cream (Miconazole nitrate – non-Rx):
- An increased need to urinate, or
- Pain in the vagina or urinary opening
- Lower abdominal cramp
- Pain, or flaking of the treated skin
- Pimple-like bumps
- Skin irritation around the vagina
- Urinating more than usual
- Vaginal irritation
Form and Strength
Monistat Cream (Miconazole nitrate – non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strengths:
Monistat Cream: Dermal Cream
- Do not use Monistat cream without a doctor's advice if you are pregnant.
- Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are breastfeeding a baby.
- Monistat cream may interact with other medications, herbs, or non-prescription drugs, so give your healthcare provider a list of all the medicines you are taking.
- Monistat cream may cause some side effects, such as abdominal pain, headache, skin rashes, and vaginal swelling. If you experience any severe side effects, consult your healthcare provider.
- If you are using Monistat cream for the first time, it may take several days for the symptoms to go away completely.
- Miconazole nitrate is generally safe for use in children, but dosage and application instructions may vary depending on the age of the child and the condition being treated. Talk to a healthcare professional before using Miconazole nitrate or any other medication in children.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Miconazole nitrate safe to use?
Miconazole nitrate is generally considered safe when used as directed. However, some people may experience side effects such as skin irritation, rash, or itching. Talk to a healthcare professional before using Miconazole nitrate or any other medication.
Can Miconazole nitrate be used during pregnancy?
Miconazole nitrate is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy, but it is still needed to talk to a healthcare professional before using it.
How long does it take for Miconazole nitrate to work?
The time it takes for Miconazole nitrate to work may vary depending on the specific condition being treated. In general, it may take several days to a few weeks to see an improvement in symptoms.
Can Miconazole nitrate be used to treat oral thrush?
Miconazole nitrate is sometimes used to treat oral thrush, but other antifungal medications may be more effective.
Is Miconazole nitrate available over the counter?
Yes, Miconazole nitrate is available over the counter in the forms of creams.
Can Miconazole nitrate be used for nail fungus?
No, Miconazole nitrate is generally not effective for treating nail fungus. Other antifungal medications may be more effective for this condition.
Can Miconazole nitrate be used with other medications?
Talk to a healthcare professional before using Miconazole nitrate with other medications or supplements, as there may be interactions that could affect the effectiveness or safety of either medication.
It's important to purchase Monistat Cream from verified Canadian pharmacy.