Table of contents:
Clopixol Depot is an antipsychotic medication that is used to treat schizophrenia and other mental disorders. It contains the active ingredient zuclopenthixol, which is a long-acting antipsychotic medication.
Zuclopenthixol works by affecting the levels of certain chemicals in the brain that are responsible for causing psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions. The injection is given by a healthcare professional into a muscle, and its effects can last for several weeks, which makes it a convenient treatment option for people who have difficulty remembering to take their medication every day.
Use and Dosage
Clopixol Depot is typically given as an intramuscular injection once every two to four weeks, depending on the patient's response to the medication. Your healthcare professional will typically use a needle and syringe to withdraw the appropriate amount of the solution from the vial and then inject it into the patient's muscle. The injection site may need to be alternated to prevent discomfort or injury.
The recommended dosage and frequency of injections will vary depending on the patient's individual needs and response to treatment, and it should be determined by a healthcare professional. However, the usual dosage range of zuclopenthixol decanoate is 200-500 mg/ml, but some patients may require up to 600 mg/ml. Clopixol Depot is only available via prescription and should only be used under the guidance of a qualified healthcare professional.
Follow the healthcare professional's instructions for using the Clopixol Depot injection, including the dosage, injection site, and frequency of administration. The healthcare professional will also monitor the patient for any potential side effects, which may include drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, or weight gain. If the patient experiences any unusual or concerning symptoms, they should contact their healthcare professional immediately.
Common Side Effects of Clopixol Depot (Zclopenthixol):
Serious Side Effects of Clopixol Depot (Zclopenthixol):
- Abnormality of voluntary movements
- Dryness in mouth
- Increased prolactin level in blood
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
- Urinary retention
- Weight gain
Forms and Strength
Clopixol Depot (Zclopenthixol) is available in the following forms and strength:
Clopixol Depot: Vials
- 200 mg/mL
- Clopixol Depot may increase the risk of seizures, especially in people who have a history of seizures or have an increased risk of seizures.
- Zclopenthixol may cause a condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which is a rare but potentially life-threatening reaction.
- Clopixol Depot may cause a potentially irreversible movement disorder called tardive dyskinesia.
- Zclopenthixol may interact with other medications or substances, including alcohol, which can increase the risk of side effects or make them worse.
- Clopixol Depot may cause a drop in blood pressure, which can cause dizziness or fainting.
- Zclopenthixol may cause sleepiness or fatigue, which can affect the ability to drive or operate machinery.
- Zclopenthixol may also cause changes in heart rate or rhythm, which can be dangerous for people with certain heart conditions.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Clopixol Depot Injection can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine because it can make drowsiness worse.
- Zclopenthixol may affect how your body regulates your temperature. Avoid situations that can result in your overheating or getting dehydrated.
- Zclopenthixol may increase your weight, blood sugar and cholesterol. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and monitor your blood levels regularly.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any swelling, particularly of the face, lips, jaw, and tongue, and trouble breathing while taking this medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Clopixol Depot be stopped abruptly?
Abruptly stopping Clopixol Depot may cause withdrawal symptoms. Follow the doctor's instructions for tapering off the medication if needed.
How often is Clopixol depot injection given?
Clopixol Depot is a long-acting injection that is given every 2 - 4 weeks to control the symptoms of schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses. The dose range for Clopixol depot injection is 100 mg - 600 mg every 2 - 4 weeks. The most common dosage range is 200 mg - 400 mg every 4 weeks.
Where is a depot injection given?
You will not be given a depot injection to use at home on yourself. The injection is made into a large muscle. This is likely to be either your buttock or the largest muscle of your shoulder. Some types of antipsychotics may need to be given into a certain muscle.
It's important to purchase Clopixol Depot from verified Canadian pharmacy.