Table of contents:
Climara Pro is a prescription medicine patch used by women to help reduce certain symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, and to prevent postmenopausal osteoporosis. It contains two types of hormones, estradiol and levonorgestrel, and is applied once a week to the lower stomach. Climara Pro is indicated to release both hormones through an adhesive-based matrix transdermal system.
Uses and Dosage
To use the Climara Pro Patch:
- Choose a clean and dry area of the lower abdomen or the upper quadrant of the buttocks.
- Peel off the backing from the patch and apply the adhesive side of the patch to the chosen area of skin.
- Press the patch firmly with your fingers for at least 10 seconds to ensure it sticks to your skin.
- Rub the edges of the patch to make sure that it is fully sealed and will not come off.
- Use a new patch once a week on the same day each week
Common Side Effects of Climara Pro Patch (Estradiol/Levonorgestrel):
- Skin rash, redness, or irritation where Climara Pro Patch was applied
- Abdominal pain
- Breast soreness or tenderness
- Weight fluctuations
Serious Side Effects of Climara Pro Patch (Estradiol/Levonorgestrel):
- Swelling in extremities
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Persistent nausea
- Severe stomach pain
- Vaginal discharge
- Irritation in or around the vagina
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Breast lumps
- Memory loss
- Blood clotting
- Heart attack
- Muscle or joint pain
- Sweating excessively
- Severe headache
- Weakness or numbness on one side of the body
- Slurred speech
- Vision changes
- Swelling in extremities
- Numbness in extremities
- Trouble breathing
- Coughing blood
- Extreme dizziness
Form and Strength
Climara Pro Patch (Estradiol/Levonorgestrel) is available in the following forms and strength:
Climara Pro Patch: Patch
- 45/15 mcg
- Climara Pro Patch should be used with caution by women who have a history of high blood pressure, heart disease, or diabetes, as these conditions can increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects.
- Climara Pro Patch should not be used by women who have a history of blood clots, liver disease, breast cancer, or uterine cancer.
- Do not use estrogens with or without progestogens to prevent heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, or dementia (declines of brain function).
- Using estrogens with progestogens may increase your chance of getting dementia based on a study of women 65 years of age and older.
- Using estrogens with progestogens may increase your chances of getting heart attacks, strokes, breast cancer, or blood clots.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use Climara Pro Patch.
- Women who experience unusual vaginal bleeding, pain or pressure in the chest, sudden shortness of breath, or severe headache should seek medical attention immediately.
- Women who have a history of gallbladder disease, migraines, or high cholesterol should use Climara Pro Patch with caution, as the hormones in the patch can worsen these conditions.
- Women who have a strong family history of breast cancer or a personal history of breast disease should discuss the risks and benefits of using Climara Pro Patch with a healthcare provider.
- Women who have abnormal vaginal bleeding or have not had a hysterectomy should consult with a healthcare provider before using Climara Pro Patch, as estrogen therapy may increase the risk of endometrial cancer.
- Women who smoke or use tobacco products should not use Climara Pro Patch, as this can increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I use Climara Pro?
The patch is applied once a week to the lower abdomen, rotating the application site to avoid irritation. It should be left in place for 7 days before being replaced with a new patch.
Who should not use Climara Pro?
Climara Pro is not suitable for everyone. It should not be used by women who have a history of blood clots, certain types of cancer, or liver disease. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should also avoid using Climara Pro.
How long should you use Climara Pro (estradiol / levonorgestrel)?
Your provider might check in on you 3 to 6 months after you start using Climara Pro (estradiol / levonorgestrel) to see if your symptoms are improving and if you can stop using the patch.
Can I use Climara Pro Patch if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
No, Climara Pro Patch should not be used if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The hormones in the patch can potentially harm a developing fetus or nursing baby.
It's important to purchase Climara Pro Patch from verified Canadian pharmacy.