Table of contents:
Cleocin solution is a topical antibiotic medication used to treat mild to moderate acne. It contains clindamycin phosphate as the active ingredient. It belongs to the lincomycin class of medications.
Clindamycin works by inhibiting the production of proteins that are necessary for bacterial growth and survival. By doing so, it helps to decrease the number of acne lesions and prevent the formation of new ones.
Use and Dosage
The solution form of Cleocin is applied directly to the affected area of the skin to help decrease the number of acne lesions. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria that cause acne. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist when using Cleocin solution, as it may cause side effects and may interact with other medications.
To use Cleocin solution (clindamycin phosphate), clean and dry the affected area of the skin first. Then, tilt the bottle and press the tip firmly against your skin to apply a thin layer of the solution. If needed, you can make the medicine flow faster from the applicator tip by slightly increasing the pressure on the bottle.
Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist and to not apply more or less of the medication than recommended. If you have any questions about how to use Cleocin solution, don't hesitate to talk to your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Cleocin Solution (Clindamycin Phosphate):
- Oily skin
- Sensitivity to sun
- Skin irritation
Serious Side Effects of Cleocin Solution (Clindamycin Phosphate):
- Abdominal or stomach cramps, pain, and bloating (severe)
- Diarrhea (watery and severe), which may also be bloody
- Increased thirst
- Nausea or vomiting
- Skin rash, itching, redness, swelling, or other sign of irritation not present before use of this medicine
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Unusual weight loss
Forms and Strength
Cleocin Solution (Clindamycin Phosphate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Clindamycin Phosphate: Topical Solution
- Allergic reactions: If you are allergic to clindamycin or any other ingredients in the medication, you should not use this product.
- Antibiotic resistance: Overuse of antibiotics can lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which can be difficult to treat.
- Prolonged use: Long-term use of Cleocin solution can lead to the development of antibiotic resistance, which can make future infections more difficult to treat.
- Secondary infections: The use of antibiotics can cause secondary infections, such as yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis.
- Side effects: Cleocin solution may cause side effects such as skin irritation, itching, burning, and redness.
- Interactions with other medications: let your doctor or pharmacist know about all medications you are taking, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Some medications may interact with Cleocin solution, which may affect how it works or increase the risk of side effects.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Cleocin solution may not be safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. It is important to talk to your doctor about the potential risks and benefits of using this medication during these times.
- Intestinal inflammation: Cleocin solution may cause inflammation of the intestines, which can lead to symptoms such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever.
- Liver problems: Cleocin solution can cause liver problems, especially in people with a history of liver disease. It is important to let your doctor know if you have a history of liver problems before using this medication.
- Kidney problems: Cleocin solution can cause kidney problems, especially in people with a history of kidney disease. Let your doctor know if you have a history of kidney problems before using this medication.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Cleocin solution be used with other acne medications?
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Cleocin solution with other acne medications to determine if it is safe to use them together.
How long can I use Cleocin solution?
The length of time you can use Cleocin solution depends on the severity of your acne and your doctor's instructions. Long-term use can lead to the development of antibiotic resistance, which can make future infections more difficult to treat.
Is Cleocin solution available over the counter?
Cleocin solution is only available with a prescription from a healthcare provider.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Cleocin solution?
If you miss a dose of Cleocin solution, apply it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule.
It's important to purchase Cleocin Solution from verified Canadian pharmacy.