Finacea cream is a prescription medication used to treat mild to moderate rosacea, a chronic inflammatory skin condition that typically affects the face. The active ingredient in Finacea cream is azelaic acid. Azelaic acid belongs to a class of drugs known as dicarboxylic acids. It works to reduce the swelling and redness associated with rosacea by killing bacteria and reducing the inflammation of the skin.
Finacea Cream is FDA-approved to treat mild to moderate rosacea in adults and reduces redness, swelling, and the number of pimples associated with this condition.
Use and Dosage
To use Azelaic Acid Cream properly, start by cleaning the affected area and patting it dry. Apply a thin layer of the medication to the skin twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening, or as instructed by your doctor. Massage the cream gently into the affected areas.
After using the cream, wash your hands. Use Azelaic Acid cream regularly to achieve the best results. To help remember, try to use it at the same time each day. Be careful to avoid contact with your eyes, nose, mouth, or any mucous membranes; if for any reason the cream makes contact with these areas, wash immediately with ample water, and call your doctor if the irritation persists.
Unless instructed otherwise by your physician, do not cover the cream with a bandage, use excessive amounts, or apply more often than prescribed. Your condition will not improve faster, and the likelihood of side effects may increase. Use the cream for the entire recommended course of treatment, as prescribed by your doctor. While it typically takes about a month to see an improvement, it may take longer to see the full effects.
Common Side Effects of Finacea Cream (Azelaic Acid):
- Application site reactions (burning stinging tingling dryness tightness scaling itching redness irritation swelling)
- Changes in taste
- Dry mouth
- Furry tongue
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Finacea Cream (Azelaic Acid):
- Blurred vision tunnel vision eye pain or swelling or seeing halos around lights
- Changes in skin color
- Fast irregular or pounding heartbeats
- Feeling unsteady very stiff muscles high fever profuse sweating or tremors
- Fluttering in your chest
- Lightheartedness or passing out
- Loss of coordination
- Severe application site reactions
- Severe headache
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech on arm or leg
- Sudden dizziness
- Sudden vision loss
- Weakness trouble walking
Forms and Strength
Finacea Cream (Azelaic Acid) is available in the following forms and strength:
Finacea Cream: Cream
- Avoiding exposure to sunlight or UV light while using the medication
- Informing your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, as the safety of the medication during pregnancy is not fully established
- Informing your healthcare provider if you have any allergies, especially to propylene glycol, as Finacea Cream contains this ingredient
- Informing your healthcare provider if you are using any other prescription or over-the-counter medications, as they may interact with Finacea Cream and affect its effectiveness or increase the risk of side effects.
- Avoiding contact with the eyes, mouth, and other mucous membranes as the medication may cause irritation
- Using caution if you have sensitive skin, as the medication may cause dryness, peeling, or stinging
- Using caution if you have a history of asthma or other respiratory conditions, as the medication may cause difficulty breathing or wheezing
- Following the prescribed dosage and frequency of use carefully and not exceeding it without consulting with your healthcare provider
- Seeking immediate medical attention if you experience severe skin irritation, allergic reactions, or any other unusual or concerning symptoms.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use Finacea cream if I have sensitive skin?
Finacea cream may cause skin irritation, particularly in people with sensitive skin. Speak to your healthcare provider before using it if you have a history of skin sensitivity or allergies.
Is Finacea cream available over the counter?
Finacea cream requires a prescription from a healthcare provider.
Can Finacea cream be used for acne?
While Finacea cream is not FDA-approved for acne, it contains azelaic acid, which has been shown to be effective in reducing acne.
How should I store Finacea cream?
Finacea cream should be stored at room temperature, away from light and moisture. Keep the cap tightly closed when not in use.