Table of contents:
Proctofoam HC is a prescription medication used to treat the symptoms of hemorrhoids and other problems in the anal area. It is a combination medication containing hydrocortisone and pramoxine, which work together to relieve pain, itching, swelling, and discomfort.
The hydrocortisone in Proctofoam HC works by reducing inflammation in the anal area, which can help to relieve symptoms such as itching, burning, and discomfort. It does this by suppressing the immune system's response to inflammation, which helps to reduce the redness, swelling, and itching associated with hemorrhoids.
The pramoxine in Proctofoam HC works by numbing the area that it comes into contact with. This can help to temporarily relieve pain and discomfort associated with hemorrhoids.
Uses and Dosage
Proctofoam HC is administered rectally and is typically used 2 or 3 times per day, or as directed by a healthcare professional. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist when using this medication.
Proctofoam HC is a medication that is used to treat the symptoms of hemorrhoids and other problems in the anal area. It is available as a rectal foam and is applied topically.
To use Proctofoam HC foam, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before use.
- Shake the canister well before use.
- Remove the cap from the nozzle.
- Gently insert the nozzle into the rectum or apply a small quantity of the foam to a perianal pad for external use.
- Press the nozzle and release the foam slowly.
- Withdraw the nozzle while continuing to release the foam.
- Clean the nozzle after each use with a clean tissue or cloth.
Use Proctofoam HC exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Do not use more of it or use it more often than directed.
Common Side Effects of Proctofoam hc (Hydrocortisone/Pramoxine):
- Mild redness or swelling of treated skin
- Thinning of treated skin
- Numbness on areas where the medicine is accidentally applied
Serious Side Effects of Proctofoam hc (Hydrocortisone/Pramoxine):
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty breathing
- Dry mouth
- Eye pain
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased thirst or urination
- Mood changes
- Muscle weakness
- Puffiness in your face
- Seeing halos around lights
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Weight gain
- Weight loss
Form and Strength
Proctofoam hc (Hydrocortisone/Pramoxine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Proctofoam hc: Foam
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have had an allergic reaction to hydrocortisone acetate, pramoxine hydrochloride, or any other medications before using Proctofoam HC.
- Proctofoam HC may mask the symptoms of certain infections, such as fungal or bacterial infections, so it is important to consult with your healthcare provider if you suspect you have an infection.
- Proctofoam HC contains a corticosteroid, which can have potential side effects with prolonged use, such as thinning of the skin, changes in skin color, or increased hair growth. It is important to use the medication as directed by your healthcare provider and to not use it for longer than prescribed.
- As mentioned earlier, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Proctofoam HC during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, as the effects of the medication on the fetus or infant are not well known.
- You should inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have any other medical conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, or a history of blood clots, as these may affect the use of Proctofoam HC.
- Let your doctor or pharmacist know about all the medications you are taking, including prescription, over the counter, and herbal products, as they may interact with Proctofoam HC.
- Proctofoam HC has not been studied in children under 18 years of age, and its safety and effectiveness in this population is not well established.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Proctofoam HC to work?
Proctofoam HC may take several days to start working, and it is important to use it as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. If you do not see any improvement after a few days, consult with your healthcare provider.
Can Proctofoam HC be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using Proctofoam HC during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, as the effects of the medication on the fetus or infant are not well known.
How should Proctofoam HC be stored?
Proctofoam HC should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and light, and kept out of reach of children.
Can Proctofoam HC be used for conditions other than hemorrhoids?
Proctofoam HC is primarily used to treat symptoms of hemorrhoids and other anal problems, but your doctor may prescribe it for other conditions as well.
How often can Proctofoam HC be used?
Proctofoam HC should be used as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. It is typically used 2-3 times per day, but the frequency may vary depending on your individual situation.
It's important to purchase Proctofoam HC from verified Canadian pharmacy.