Table of contents:
Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment is an over-the-counter ointment used for minor cuts, scrapes, and burns to help prevent infection and speed up the healing process. It is used to form a protective coating over the affected area to help keep out dirt and germs. It can be indicated to prevent and treat skin infections caused by bacteria.
Polysporin contains two antibiotics, bacitracin zinc and polymyxin B sulfate. Bacitracin is an antibiotic type belonging to the polypeptides class. It works by interfering with the bacterial cell wall synthesis and preventing the growth and multiplication of bacteria.
Polymyxin B is an antibiotic that belongs to the class of polymyxins. It works by disrupting the bacterial cell membrane and causing leakage of intracellular components, leading to bacterial death.
Use and Dosage
Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment should be applied directly to the affected area two to three times daily. Do not use the ointment for longer than seven days, unless directed by a doctor. Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment.
To use Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment, first, you should clean the affected area with mild soap and water, and then dry it thoroughly. Take a small amount of the ointment on a clean finger or a cotton swab and apply it to the affected area, covering it completely with a thin layer of the ointment. You can apply the ointment one to three times per day, depending on your needs. Make sure to wash your hands before and after using the ointment. If the symptoms persist or worsen after using the ointment, you should consult a healthcare professional.
Take the Ointment exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment (Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate):
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Serious Side Effects of Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment (Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate):
- Severe allergic reactions, such as: hives, rash, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue
- Severe skin irritation, such as severe burning, stinging, itching, redness, or swelling
- Blood in urine, fever, joint pain, muscle weakness, and fatigue
Forms and Strength
Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment (Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment: Ointment
- Only use as directed and avoid contact with the eyes or mouth.
- If irritation or allergic reaction occurs, discontinue use, and seek medical attention.
- Avoid using this ointment on large areas of the body or for a long time unless directed by a doctor.
- Do not use this ointment with other antibiotic ointments unless directed by a doctor.
- Be cautious about repeated use of topical antibiotics as it can cause contact allergies.
- Antibiotics can lead to bacterial resistance and decreased effectiveness over time, so avoid overuse or misuse of this ointment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment be used for viral infections?
No, the ointment is only effective in preventing and treating bacterial infections and is not effective against viral infections.
Is Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment safe for everyone to use?
Polysporin Ointment is considered safe for most people to use. However, if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in the ointment, you should not use it.
Can Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment be used on children?
Yes, Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment is safe for use on children. However, it should not be used on infants under two months of age unless directed by a doctor.
It's important to purchase Polysporin Original Antibiotic Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.