Table of contents:
Astelin Nasal Spray is used to treat symptoms of seasonal allergies, such as sneezing, runny nose, itching, and other nasal symptoms. Astelin Nasal Spray contains azelastine as an active ingredient. Azelastine belongs to the class of antihistamine medications, and it obstructs histamine, a substance in the body that triggers allergic symptoms. It works by blocking the effects of histamine, a substance in the body that causes allergy symptoms.
Azelastine can be used to treat the symptoms of rhinitis, including sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, and itchiness in the nose and eyes, which can be caused by allergies to pollen, mold, dust, or pets. It is also used to alleviate symptoms of nonallergic rhinitis such as sneezing and runny or stuffy nose which are not caused by allergies in adults and children aged 12 or older. It is available as a prescription-only medication.
Uses and Dosage
Astelin is a liquid spray that is used in the nose to treat hay fever or allergies. The nasal spray should be carefully sprayed into each nostril once or twice a day as directed on the prescription label or as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. To ensure proper use, do not use more or less than what has been prescribed for you, and seek help from an adult for children under 12 years old. It should not be swallowed or sprayed into the eyes or mouth. Each bottle of azelastine nasal spray is for the use of one person only to prevent the spread of germs.
The recommended dosage of Astelin Nasal Spray in adults and adolescents 12 years and older with seasonal allergic rhinitis is one or two sprays per nostril twice daily, depending on the severity of symptoms. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 4 sprays per nostril per day. Do not exceed the recommended dose without consulting a doctor, as doing so may increase the risk of side effects.
Common Side Effects of Astelin Nasal Spray (Azelastine):
- Bitter taste in your mouth
- Dry mouth
- Nasal irritation
Serious Side Effects of Astelin Nasal Spray (Azelastine):
- Abnormal sensations (tingling, prickling, burning, aching)
- Difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Nose bleeds
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Weight increase
Form and strength
Astelin Nasal Spray (Azelastine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Astelin Nasal Spray: Nasal Spray
- 140 mcg
Azelastine: Nasal Spray
- Astelin Nasal Spray is for nasal use only and should not be used in the eyes or mouth.
- It is important to use Astelin Nasal Spray exactly as prescribed by a healthcare professional. Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- If you have a history of certain medical conditions, such as urinary retention or severe hypertension, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using Astelin Nasal Spray.
- Astelin Nasal Spray may cause drowsiness or other side effects that may impair your ability to operate machinery or perform activities that require alertness. Do not drive or engage in activities requiring mental alertness until you know how the medication affects you.
- Inform a healthcare professional if you are taking other medications or supplements, as they may interact with Astelin Nasal Spray.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How often should I use Astelin Nasal Spray?
The recommended dosage of Astelin Nasal Spray in adults and adolescents 12 years and older with seasonal allergic rhinitis is one or two sprays per nostril twice daily, depending on the severity of symptoms. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 4 sprays per nostril per day.
Can I use Astelin Nasal Spray if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
Consult with a healthcare professional before using Astelin Nasal Spray if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Can Astelin be used for non-allergic rhinitis?
Astelin Nasal Spray is only approved for use in seasonal allergic rhinitis and is not indicated for non-allergic rhinitis.
Can Astelin be used in children?
Astelin Nasal Spray is approved for use in adolescents 12 years and older with seasonal allergic rhinitis. However, consult with a healthcare professional before giving any medication to children.
How long does Astelin Nasal Spray take to start working?
Astelin Nasal Spray may start to work within a few hours after the first dose, but it may take several days of regular use to achieve full symptom relief.
Is Astelin Nasal Spray addictive?
Astelin Nasal Spray is not known to be addictive.
It's important to purchase Astelin Nasal Spray from verified Canadian pharmacy.