- FREE Express Shipping On Orders $99+
Amitiza (Lubiprostone)Prescription Required
|Dosage||Quantity & Price|
Lubiprostone (Generic alternate to Amitiza) Generic
|Dosage||Quantity & Price|
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
Table of contents:
Amitiza (Lubiprostone) is a prescription medication that helps to reduce certain types of constipation. It belongs to a class of drugs known as chloride channel activators, which have a unique mechanism of action for treating this common digestive disorder. Amitiza’s active ingredient, lubiprostone, works by helping the intestines draw more fluid from the body into the intestine, increasing movement and softening stool.
Lubiprostone is a prescription medication used to treat chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). Lubiprostone helps to soften stools and facilitate their passage, reducing symptoms of CIC and IBS-C like bloating, straining during bowel movements, and feelings of incomplete evacuation.
Amitiza is a medication that can effectively improve symptoms associated with gastrointestinal disorders. Amitiza has been found to be beneficial in relieving bloating, abdominal discomfort, and a need to strain during bowel movements. It may also improve stool texture and decrease the feeling of not completely relieving oneself.
Uses and Dosage
Amitiza comes as an oral capsule and should be taken with food and water, usually twice daily. Swallow the capsule whole and do not break or chew it. Doing so could reduce the effectiveness of the medication or cause unpleasant side effects.
The typical dosing for lubiprostone (Amitiza) is as follows:
- Constipation due to opioids or unclear cause: Take 24 mcg by mouth twice daily.
- Constipation due to irritable bowel syndrome: Women who are age 18 years or older should take 8 mcg by mouth twice daily. Follow the doctor’s instructions and not exceed the recommended dosage.
Common side effects of Amitiza include:
- Dry mouth
- Joint/back pain
- Runny nose
- Stomach pain
- Trouble sleeping
Form and Strength
Amitiza and its generic alternative of Lubiprostone are available in the following forms and strengths.
· Amitiza: Capsule
- 8 mcg
- 24 mcg
- Lubiprostone: Soft Gelatin Capsule
- 24 mcg
- You should not use lubiprostone if you have a blockage in your digestive tract, or if you have severe diarrhea. Taking lubiprostone when you have these conditions can worsen them or cause other serious health issues.
- Do not take lubiprostone if you have a blockage in your digestive tract, or if you have severe diarrhea.
- Patients taking lubiprostone may experience nausea, taking it with food and water may help alleviate this side effect.
- If you have a history of severe allergic reactions, are pregnant, or nursing, do not take lubiprostone.
- Do not break or chew the capsule as this can reduce the effectiveness of the medication or cause unpleasant side effects.
- In older adults, use lubiprostone with caution due to potential risks of high magnesium levels.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How quickly does lubiprostone work?
lubiprostone is effective in providing relief from constipation within 24 hours of starting treatment, with 60% of patients having a spontaneous bowel movement within this time frame
What happens if you take Amitiza on an empty stomach?
Amitiza is highly likely to cause nausea in almost one in every three patients who take the drug. This is more likely to occur if it is taken on an empty stomach and can be severe and debilitating, preventing patients from performing their normal daily activities.
How much Amitiza should I take?
The maximum dosage for Amitiza is 48 mcg per day.
Capsule, Soft Gelatin Capsule
Online Pharmacies Canada has provided information from third parties intended to increase awareness and does not contain all the information about Amitiza (Lubiprostone). Talk to your doctor or other qualified medical practitioners for medical attention or advice, or if you have any concerns about Amitiza (Lubiprostone).