Table of contents:
Zyrtec syrup is an antihistamine medication used to treat allergy symptoms such as runny nose, itching eyes/nose, sneezing, and hives. It contains the active ingredient cetirizine hydrochloride with a concentration of 5 mg/5 ml.
Zyrtec syrup is suitable for both children and adults, although the dosage may vary depending on the age of the patient. Children aged 2 to under 6 years may take 2.5 mL once daily, with the dosage increasing up to a maximum of 5 mL once daily or 2.5 mL twice daily if needed.
Use and Dosage
The dosage and usage instructions for Cetirizine Syrup may vary depending on several factors, including age, weight, medical history, and the severity of the allergy symptoms. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or written on the label.
Here is an example of how to use Cetirizine Syrup, based on the information in the search results:
- Shake the bottle well before using it
- Measure the prescribed amount of Cetirizine Syrup using a specially marked spoon or container as directed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Take the medication by mouth.
Cetirizine Syrup should be used exactly as prescribed by the doctor or pharmacist and should not be shared with others even if they are experiencing similar symptoms. If you have any questions or concerns about how to use Cetirizine Syrup, consult your doctor or pharmacist for guidance.
Talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist about any questions or concerns you may have about using Cetirizine Syrup to avoid any potential drug interactions or adverse effects.
Common Side Effects of Zyrtec Syrup (Cetirizine - non-Rx):
Serious Side Effects of Zyrtec Syrup (Cetirizine - non-Rx):
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Little or no urination
- Problems with vision
- Severe restless feeling, hyperactivity
- Stomach pain
- Weakness, tremors (uncontrolled shaking), or sleep problems (insomnia)
Forms and Strength
Zyrtec Syrup (Cetirizine - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Before taking the medication, inform your healthcare provider about any medical conditions or allergies you may have, and any other medications you are currently taking.
- Cetirizine may cause drowsiness or dizziness, so you should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until you know how the medication affects you.
- Cetirizine syrup should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disease, as the medication may be cleared from the body more slowly, leading to a risk of accumulation of the drug or its metabolites.
- Cetirizine may interact with other medications, including sedatives or tranquilizers, causing increased drowsiness or other side effects.
- Cetirizine syrup may cause side effects such as dry mouth, headache, fatigue, or gastrointestinal upset, although these are usually mild and go away on their own.
- Zyrtec syrup should be used with caution in elderly patients or patients with respiratory problems such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Cetirizine syrup may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals. Signs of an allergic reaction may include hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, and if these symptoms occur, medical attention should be sought immediately.
- Cetirizine syrup should not be taken with alcohol, as it may increase the risk of drowsiness or other side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I drink alcohol while taking Zyrtec Syrup?
It is not recommended to drink alcohol while taking Zyrtec Syrup as it can increase the risk of side effects such as drowsiness.
Is Zyrtec Syrup safe for children?
Zyrtec Syrup is safe for children ages 2 years and older, but the dose should be adjusted based on their age and weight.
How long does it take for Zyrtec Syrup to work?
Zyrtec Syrup typically starts working within an hour of taking the medication, but it may take up to 3 days to see the full effect.
Can Zyrtec Syrup cause drowsiness?
Zyrtec Syrup can cause drowsiness in some people. If you experience drowsiness, avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
Can I take Zyrtec Syrup every day?
Zyrtec Syrup can be taken every day as directed by your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Can Zyrtec Syrup be used for cold symptoms?
Zyrtec Syrup is not typically used for cold symptoms, as it is not effective in treating viral infections such as the common cold.
It's important to purchase Zyrtec Syrup from verified Canadian pharmacy.