Table of contents:
Xalatan is a brand name for the drug latanoprost, which medication is used to treat high pressure inside the eye due to glaucoma or other eye diseases.
The active ingredient in Xalatan Preservative Free is latanoprost, which works by increasing the outflow of aqueous fluid from the eye, thereby reducing the pressure inside the eye. Lowering high pressure inside the eye helps to prevent blindness.
Use and Dosage
Xalatan Preservative Free is a preservative-free formulation of latanoprost and is available as an ophthalmic solution that is applied to the affected eye(s) once daily, usually in the evening.
To use Xalatan Preservative Free, follow the instructions provided by your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider. The recommended dose is one drop in the affected eye(s) once daily, usually in the evening. The solution should be used immediately after opening the single-use container and should not be reused or shared with others. If you wear contact lenses, you should remove them before using Xalatan Preservative Free Single Dose Containers and wait at least 15 minutes before reinserting them.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not use more than one drop per day, as using more than the recommended dose may not increase the effectiveness of the medication and can increase the risk of side effects.
Common Side Effects of Xalatan Preservative Free (Latanoprost):
- Crusting or drainage from the eye
- Darkening of the iris (brown part of the eye)
- Discoloration of the eyelid skin
- Eye pain or stinging
- Increased tear production
- Irritation or redness of the eye
- Sensitivity to light
Serious Side Effects of Xalatan Preservative Free (Latanoprost):
- Eye discharge or tearing
- Eye redness, swelling, or pain
- Sensitivity to light
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Sudden vision changes or vision loss
Forms and Strength
Xalatan Preservative Free (Latanoprost) is available in the following forms and strength:
Xalatan Preservative Free: Single Dose Containers
- 50 mcg/ml
- Xalatan Preservative Free should not be used if you are allergic to any of its components.
- Xalatan Preservative Free may cause changes to the color of your eyes (iris), eyelids, and eyelashes.
- Xalatan Preservative Free may cause your eye(s) to become more sensitive to light.
- Xalatan Preservative Free may cause a temporary burning or stinging sensation in your eye(s) after using it.
- If you have a history of eye inflammation or swelling, or have undergone eye surgery or injury, you should inform your doctor before using Xalatan Preservative Free and they will decide if it's safe for you to use.
- Xalatan Preservative Free may interact with other eye medications or drugs that affect your eyes, so inform your doctor about any medications you're taking before using Xalatan Preservative Free.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use latanoprost if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, you should discuss the risks and benefits of using latanoprost with your doctor before using it.
Does Xalatan Preservative Free require a prescription?
Yes, Xalatan Preservative Free requires a prescription from a doctor or other qualified healthcare provider.
Can latanoprost be used in children?
Latanoprost can be used in children, but the safety and effectiveness of its use in pediatric patients have not been fully established. The use of latanoprost in children should be decided by a doctor.
It's important to purchase Xalatan Preservative Free from verified Canadian pharmacy.