Table of contents:
Alphagan P is a prescription eye drop used to treat open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension by reducing pressure inside the eyes. It contains brimonidine tartrate. Brimonidine is an alpha-2 agonist eye drop.
Alphagan P works by decreasing the amount of fluid produced in the eye and increasing the drainage of fluid from the eye. The medication is typically used as directed by a doctor and is not recommended for use in children under the age of two.
Use and Dosage
To use Alphagan P eye drops, follow the instructions provided by your doctor or healthcare provider. In general, the usual recommended dose is one drop in the affected eye(s) two to three times daily. Here are the steps to use Alphagan P eye drops:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before handling the eye drops.
- Shake the bottle gently to make sure the liquid is well mixed.
- Tilt your head back and look up towards the ceiling.
- Use your fingers to gently pull down your lower eyelid to create a small pocket.
- Hold the bottle upside down over your eye, making sure not to touch the tip to your eye or any other surface.
- Squeeze the bottle gently to release one drop of the medication into the pocket you created with your lower eyelid.
- Release your lower eyelid and close your eye gently for 1-2 minutes.
- If you need to use eye drops in both eyes, repeat the process for the other eye, and wait for 5-10 minutes before using any additional eye drops or medications.
Avoid touching the tip of the bottle to any surface, including your eye or eyelid, to prevent contamination of the eye drops. Contact lenses should be removed before using Alphagan P, and they can be reinserted 15 minutes after using the eye drops, as the preservative in Alphagan P can discolor soft contact lenses.
Common Side Effects of Alphagan P Eyedrops (Brimonidine):
- Dry mouth
- Temporary blurred vision
- Temporary eye discomfort
- Unusual taste in the mouth
Serious Side Effects of Alphagan P Eyedrops (Brimonidine):
- Extreme sensitivity to light
- Eye pain
- Eye swelling
- Persistent headache
- Vision changes
Forms and Strength
Alphagan P Eyedrops (Brimonidine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Alphagan P Eyedrops: Eye Drops
Brimonidine: Eye Drops
- Stop using Alphagan P if your eyes become swollen, painful, or have a discharge.
- Alphagan P may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how this medicine will affect you.
- Alphagan P may interact with other medications you are using. Therefore, it is important to inform your doctor about all the medications you are taking before using Alphagan P.
- Alphagan P may not be suitable for patients with certain medical conditions, such as low blood pressure, depression, or heart disease. It is important to inform your doctor about any pre-existing conditions before using Alphagan P.
- Alphagan P may cause allergic reactions in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include hives, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing, or a rash.
- Alphagan P should not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women unless explicitly approved by a doctor.
- Alphagan P may interact with other eye drops or medications used for glaucoma or high blood pressure. Inform your doctor about all the medications you are taking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Alphagan P to work?
Alphagan P can start working within 15-30 minutes after the first application. However, it can take several weeks for the full benefits of Alphagan P to be seen in the treatment of glaucoma.
Can Alphagan P be used by children?
Alphagan P has not been studied specifically in children, so it is not recommended for use in children unless explicitly approved by a doctor.
How should I store Alphagan P eye drops?
Store Alphagan P at room temperature and keep it out of the reach of children. Do not freeze the eye drops and discard any unused or expired medication.
Can I wear contact lenses while using Alphagan P?
Contact lenses should be removed before applying Alphagan P, and they can be reinserted 15 minutes after using the eye drops, as the preservative in Alphagan P can discolor soft contact lenses.
It's important to purchase Alphagan P Eyedrops from verified Canadian pharmacy.