Table of contents:
Wellbutrin XL is an antidepressant medication commonly prescribed to treat depression, as well as other mental health conditions such as seasonal affective disorder. It includes an active ingredient called Bupropion. Bupropion is classified as a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI). Wellbutrin XL works by increasing certain neurotransmitters in the brain, which can help to improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression.
Bupropion can be used alone or in combination with other medications to help people manage their mental health issues. It is often prescribed to treat depression, seasonal affective disorder (SAD), and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Uses and Dosage
Wellbutrin XL is administered in the form of tablets that are taken orally with or without food, typically once daily in the morning, as directed by your doctor. Take the tablet at least 6 hours apart, or four times a day, with doses at least 4 hours apart. Swallow the sustained-release and extended-release tablets whole; do not split, chew, or crush them. If you experience stomach discomfort, you may take it with a meal or snack.
Take Wellbutrin XL regularly at the same time each day to maximize its full effect and taking it later in the day may cause insomnia. It may take 4 weeks or longer before you feel the full benefit of bupropion. Continue to take bupropion even if you feel well. Do not stop taking bupropion without talking to your doctor. Your doctor may decrease your dose gradually.
The dosage of bupropion varies depending on the condition being treated.
- For major depressive disorder (MDD), the typical starting dose is 150mg once daily in the morning, which may be increased to a target dose of 300mg once daily after 4 days of dosing. However, the dosage may vary based on individual response and tolerance.
- For attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), an initial dosage of 150mg per day is recommended, with titration up to 150-450mg per day based on tolerability and efficacy, which may be administered in divided doses or in extended-release formats (ER or SR).
- For Seasonal affective disorder (SAD): the typical starting dose is 150 mg by mouth once daily in the morning. After 7 days, your provider might raise your dose to 300 mg once daily in the morning. Treatment is usually started in the autumn season before your SAD symptoms begin and it's continued through the winter season.
Common Side Effects of Wellbutrin XL (Bupropion):
- Throat irritation
- Dry mouth
- Lack of appetite
- Weight loss
- Trouble sleeping/insomnia
- Joint or muscle pain
- Increased sweating
- Increased urination
- Loss of sex drive
Serious Side Effects of Wellbutrin XL (Bupropion):
- High blood pressure
- Unusual weight changes
- Unusual behavior
- Eye pain
- Widened pupils
- Vision changes
Form and Strength
Wellbutrin XL (Bupropion) is available in the following forms and strength:
Wellbutrin XL: Tablet
- 150 mg
- 300 mg
Bupropion: ER Tablet
- 150 mg
- 300 mg
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Wellbutrin XL as it can increase the risk of seizures and may also increase the risk of other side effects.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Wellbutrin XL, as it may cause withdrawal symptoms such as headache, nausea, and mood changes.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, you should talk to your doctor about the potential risks and benefits of taking Wellbutrin XL.
- Bupropion may increase your risk for suicidal thoughts or behaviors, especially if you are under the age of 24.
- Wellbutrin XL may interact with other medications, including MAO inhibitors, and may increase the risk of seizures.
- If you have a history of seizures or an eating disorder, you may be at increased risk of experiencing seizures or other adverse effects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Wellbutrin XL to start working?
It may take several weeks of taking Wellbutrin XL before you start to see improvement in your symptoms. Continue taking the medication as directed by your healthcare provider, even if you do not notice immediate improvement.
Can Wellbutrin XL cause weight loss?
Yes, weight loss is a possible side effect of Wellbutrin XL. However, this is not true for everyone, and weight loss is not guaranteed.
Can Wellbutrin XL be taken with other medications?
Check with your healthcare provider before taking Wellbutrin XL with other medications, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements, as certain combinations can be dangerous.
Can Wellbutrin XL be used for anxiety or panic disorders?
Wellbutrin XL is not approved for the treatment of anxiety or panic disorders. It may be used off-label for these conditions, but this should only be done under the guidance of a qualified healthcare provider.
Can Wellbutrin XL be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Use of Wellbutrin XL during pregnancy or breastfeeding with your healthcare provider, as the medication may pass into breast milk and may pose a risk to the developing fetus.
It's important to purchase Wellbutrin XL from verified Canadian pharmacy.