- FREE Express Shipping On Orders $99+
Prozac (Fluoxetine)Prescription Required
|Dosage||Quantity & Price|
Fluoxetine (Generic alternate to Prozac) Generic
|Dosage||Quantity & Price|
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
Prozac, also known as Fluoxetine, is an antidepressant medication commonly prescribed to treat depression. It is a type of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that works as an antidepressant by increasing levels of serotonin in the brain to help maintain mental balance. It is a highly effective medication that helps millions of people manage their symptoms and cope with life’s struggles.
Fluoxetine is an effective medication for the treatment of the major depressive disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. This helps to improve mood, sleep, appetite, energy, and the ability to engage in daily activities. It can also reduce fear, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and the frequency of panic attacks. Additionally, it can reduce the urge to perform repetitive, compulsive behaviors that can interfere with daily life.
Since Prozac’s introduction in 1987, it has become one of the most prescribed medications for depression. It has been demonstrated to be a safe and effective treatment for many people suffering from depression. Its popularity is due to its effectiveness as well as its versatility; it can be used to treat a wide array of mental health problems.
Uses and Dosage
Fluoxetine is available in capsule form and is to be taken orally with or without food once or twice a day. When taking it once daily, it should be taken in the morning. For twice daily dosing, it should be taken in the morning and afternoon. It is not recommended to take this medication in the evening due to the risk of insomnia or difficulty sleeping.
The dosage of Prozac should be tailored to the individual’s medical condition and response to treatment. To minimize the risk of adverse effects, the initial dose should be low and gradually increased according to the doctor’s instructions. You should take this medication regularly to maximize its benefits. To aid in remembering to take the medication, it should be taken at the same time each day.
Generally, the recommended dosage of fluoxetine for adults is 20mg daily; however, it is possible to start with a lower dose and gradually increase it to a maximum of 60mg daily. Individuals with certain conditions, such as liver problems, as well as the elderly, may require a reduced dose of fluoxetine. For children, the usual dosage is 10mg daily, but this may be increased to 20mg daily if necessary.
Common Side Effects of Fluoxetine:
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
Serious Side Effects of Fluoxetine:
- Changes in sexual ability
- Easy bruising
- Mental or mood changes
- Muscle spasm
- Suicide trial especially for adults aged under 24
- Unusual weight loss
- Visual changes and Eye pain
- Widened pupils
- Signs of kidney problems (change in urine output)
Form and Strength
Prozac and its generic alternative Fluoxetine are available in the following form and strengths:
· Prozac: Capsule
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
· Fluoxetine: Capsule
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- 40 mg
- 60 mg
- Taking fluoxetine may increase the risk of developing angle-closure glaucoma, a condition in which the fluid that normally drains from the eye is suddenly blocked and unable to flow out, resulting in a rapid and severe increase in eye pressure that can lead to a loss of vision. It is important to seek immediate medical attention.
- Be aware that alcohol consumption may increase the sedative effects of this medication and should be avoided while taking it. It is important to follow the instructions of your doctor or pharmacist regarding the use of this medication, as the risk of drowsiness is increased when it is combined with alcohol.
- Patients who are pregnant, especially in the last few months of their pregnancy, or who are planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding, should inform their doctor. If a woman becomes pregnant while taking fluoxetine, they should contact their doctor immediately, as fluoxetine may cause complications in newborns if it is taken during the last months of pregnancy.
- If you miss a dose of Prozac (Fluoxetine), take the missed dose as soon as you remember, unless it is close to the time of your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I avoid while taking fluoxetine?
You should abstain from drinking alcohol or using illegal drugs while taking antidepressant medications, as this can decrease the efficacy of the medication and increase the risk of adverse effects such as sedation.
How long does fluoxetine stay in your system?
Although the fluoxetine will mostly be gone after 25 days, some metabolites are excreted into your system if you have been taking fluoxetine for more than 22 days. These secretions can stay in your system for anywhere from 22 days to 82 and a half days, depending on various factors.
Can I take fluoxetine on an empty stomach?
Fluoxetine can be taken with food or on an empty stomach.
How do you know if Prozac is working?
As your body reaches higher levels of the medication, typically over 2-4 weeks, Prozac may help your mood feel lighter, and you may feel calmer, happier, less anxious, more relaxed, or more able to function normally.
10mg, 20mg, 40mg, 60mg
30, 84, 90, 100
Online Pharmacies Canada has provided information from third parties intended to increase awareness and does not contain all the information about Prozac (Fluoxetine). Talk to your doctor or other qualified medical practitioners for medical attention or advice, or if you have any concerns about Prozac (Fluoxetine).