Table of contents:
Toviaz is a prescription medication used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder. Toviaz is a medication containing the active substance fesoterodine. Fesoterodine belongs to the class of drugs called urinary antispasmodics. It works by blocking certain receptors in the bladder, thus reducing spasms, and decreasing the urge to urinate.
Fesoterodine Fumarate comes in prolonged-release tablet form with strengths of 4 mg and 8 mg. It is used to treat overactive bladder with symptoms of urinary frequency, urgency, and incontinence in adults. Antispasmodics, such as fesoterodine, block the action of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in bladder contractions. By blocking acetylcholine, fesoterodine reduces these involuntary contractions and improves bladder control.
Uses and Dosage
Toviaz (fesoterodine) is an oral tablet that should be taken once a day, with or without food, according to your doctor's instructions. Each dose should be taken with a full glass of liquid. Do not crush or chew Prolonged Release Tablet, as this can cause all the drug to be released at once, increasing the risk of side effects. Do not split tablets unless there is a score line on them, and your doctor or pharmacist has advised you to do so. Always swallow whole or split tablets without crushing or chewing.
To begin treatment with Toviaz (fesoterodine), it is typically recommended to take 4 mg by mouth once a day. Depending on how you respond to the medication, your healthcare provider may adjust the dose, increasing it to 8 mg once a day. The dose may be different if you have liver or kidney problems, or if you are taking certain medications that interact with Toviaz (fesoterodine).
Common Side Effects of Toviaz (Fesoterodine Fumarate):
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
- Blurred vision
- Stomach upset
Serious Side Effects of Toviaz (Fesoterodine Fumarate):
- Being unable to urinate
- Chest pain
- Fast or uneven heart rate
- Feeling very thirsty or hot
- Heavy sweating
- Hot and dry skin
- Little or no urination
- Lower back pain
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Painful urination
- Persistent constipation
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe stomach pain
- Swelling of your hands or feet
- Trouble urinating
Form and strength
Toviaz (Fesoterodine Fumarate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Toviaz: Prolonged Release Tablet
- 4 mg
- 8 mg
Fesoterodine Fumarate: Tablet
- 4 mg
- 8 mg
- Before taking fesoterodine, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to tolterodine; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of urinary retention, stomach problems, or glaucoma before taking Toviaz.
- The safety of Toviaz during pregnancy or breastfeeding has not been established and consult with your doctor before taking it in those situations.
- Toviaz may cause side effects such as constipation, dry mouth, blurred vision, or urinary retention.
- Toviaz may interact with other medications, so inform your doctor of all medications you are taking.
- You should avoid activities that require alertness or clear vision, such as driving or operating machinery, until you know how Toviaz affects you.
- You should avoid consuming alcohol or marijuana, as they can increase the risk of dizziness or drowsiness. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about using Toviaz, especially if you are using marijuana.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I tell my doctor before taking Toviaz?
Before taking Toviaz, tell your doctor if you have any allergies, glaucoma, liver or kidney problems, or a history of urinary retention.
How long does Toviaz take to work?
Toviaz can take several weeks to work fully, and individual results may vary.
Is Toviaz habit-forming or addictive?
Toviaz is not habit-forming or addictive.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Toviaz?
If you miss a dose of Toviaz, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at your regular time.
It's important to purchase Toviaz from verified Canadian pharmacy.