Table of contents:
Steglujan is a prescription medication used in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus to improve glycemic control. It is a combination of two active ingredients, ertugliflozin and sitagliptin.
Ertugliflozin is a sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitor that helps reduce the amount of glucose reabsorbed by the kidneys and increases glucose excretion in urine. Sitagliptin is a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor that helps reduce blood sugar levels by increasing the production of insulin and decreasing the production of glucagon.
Steglujan is prescribed as an adjunct to diet and exercise to control the level of blood pressure. Controlling high blood sugar helps prevent kidney damage, blindness, nerve problems, loss of limbs, and sexual function problems. Proper control of diabetes may also lessen your risk of a heart attack or stroke.
Uses and Dosage
Steglujan is a film-coated tablet designed to be taken by mouth with or without food, as directed by your doctor, typically once a day in the morning. Take the tablet regularly to receive the most benefit from it. To help remember when to take it, take it at the same time every day. If your condition does not improve or if it becomes worse, such as having high or low blood sugar levels, inform your doctor.
The dosage depends on your medical condition and your response to treatment. However, the initial dose of ertugliflozin-sitagliptin is 5 mg of ertugliflozin and 100 mg of sitagliptin, taken orally, once a day, in the morning, with or without food. If you do not see a sufficient decrease in your blood glucose levels and require additional glucose control, your physician may gradually increase the dosage to a maximum of 15 mg of ertugliflozin and 100 mg of sitagliptin, taken once daily.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Steglujan (Ertugliflozin/Sitagliptin):
- Common cold
- Female yeast infections
- Male yeast infections
- More frequent urination
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infections
- Vaginal itching
Serious Side Effects of Steglujan (Ertugliflozin/Sitagliptin):
- Back pain
- Dehydration symptoms - dizziness, weakness, feeling light-headed (like you might pass out)
- Ketoacidosis (too much acid in the blood) - nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, confusion, unusual drowsiness, or trouble breathing
- Little or no urination
- New pain, tenderness, sores, ulcers, or infections in your legs or feet
- Severe autoimmune reaction - itching, blisters, breakdown of the outer layer of skin
- Severe or ongoing pain in your joints
- Signs of a bladder infection - pain or burning when you urinate, increased urination, blood in your urine, fever, pain in your pelvis or back
- Symptoms of heart failure - shortness of breath (even while lying down), swelling in your legs or feet, rapid weight gain
- Symptoms of pancreatitis - severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, with or without nausea and vomiting
- Weight loss
Form and Strength
Steglujan (Ertugliflozin/Sitagliptin) is available in the following forms and strengths:
Steglujan: Film-Coated Tablet
- Hypersensitivity reactions: Individuals with a history of hypersensitivity to ertugliflozin or sitagliptin should not take Steglujan.
- Kidney function: Steglujan may cause changes in kidney function, and individuals with moderate to severe kidney impairment should take the medication with caution.
- Urinary tract infections: Steglujan may increase the risk of urinary tract infections, and individuals with a history of recurrent infections or kidney stones should take the medication with caution.
- Pancreatitis: Steglujan may cause inflammation of the pancreas, and individuals with a history of pancreatitis should take the medication with caution.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis: Steglujan may increase the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis, a serious complication of diabetes characterized by elevated levels of ketones in the blood. Individuals taking Steglujan should be monitored for symptoms of ketoacidosis.
- Hypoglycemia: Steglujan may cause low blood sugar levels, and individuals taking the medication should be aware of the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia.
- Heart failure: Steglujan may increase the risk of heart failure, especially in individuals with a history of heart disease or kidney impairment.
- Ketoacidosis: Steglujan may increase the risk of ketoacidosis, a serious complication of diabetes characterized by elevated levels of ketones in the blood.
- Genital infections: Steglujan may increase the risk of genital infections, and individuals with a history of recurrent infections or poor hygiene should take the medication with caution.
- Dehydration: Steglujan may increase the risk of dehydration, and individuals taking the medication should drink plenty of fluids and monitor their fluid intake.
- Bone fractures: Steglujan may increase the risk of bone fractures, especially in individuals with a history of fractures or osteoporosis.
- Interactions with other medications: Steglujan may interact with other medications, including certain antibiotics, antifungal medications, and diuretics. Individuals taking other medications should talk to their doctor before starting treatment with Steglujan.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Steglujan safe?
Steglujan may cause serious side effects, including inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) which may be severe and lead to death. Certain medical problems make you more likely to get pancreatitis.
When is the best time to take Steglatro?
Take Steglatro by mouth 1 time in the morning each day, with or without food. Your doctor may change your dose if needed.
How long does it take to work?
Steglatro starts working to lower your blood sugar about 1 hour after you take your first dose. But it may take a few months before your A1C starts to decrease.
Can you lose weight with Steglatro?
Although it is not a weight loss medication, Steglatro may help you lose some weight. The people participating in the same study lost on average 5 pounds more than those taking placebo.
It's important to purchase Steglujan from verified Canadian pharmacy.