Table of contents:
Stalevo 100 is a medication used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. It can be prescribed to treat shakiness, stiffness, and difficulty moving. It is a combination medication that contains three active ingredients: levodopa, carbidopa, and entacapone.
Levodopa is converted into dopamine in the brain, which helps to alleviate the motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease. However, much of the levodopa is converted into dopamine outside of the brain, which can lead to side effects and reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Carbidopa is included in Stalevo 100 to prevent the breakdown of levodopa into dopamine outside of the brain, which allows more levodopa to reach the brain and helps to increase its effectiveness.
Entacapone is also included to help prevent the breakdown of dopamine in the brain, which can further improve the medication's effectiveness and reduce fluctuations in symptom control.
Use and Dosage
Stalevo 100 is administered orally in the form of a tablet, typically 3 to 4 times a day, as prescribed by a doctor. Only take one tablet per dose, and swallow the tablet whole, without crushing, chewing, or splitting it. Doing so incorrectly may result in the wrong dose and can also cause staining of the mouth, dentures, and saliva.
To reduce nausea, Stalevo 100 can be taken with food, but avoid a high-protein diet during treatment, unless directed otherwise by a doctor. Iron supplements or products containing iron should be taken as far apart in time from Stalevo 100 as possible, as iron can reduce the medication's absorption by the body. Additionally, taking the medication with a high-fat, high-calorie meal can delay the onset of its effects by up to two hours.
The correct dosage of Stalevo 100 will depend on the individual patient's medical condition and response to treatment, so it is important to take it regularly and at the same time each day for maximum benefit.
Do not stop taking Stalevo 100 tablewithout consulting your doctor. Some conditions may become worse when this medication is suddenly stopped. Also, if you suddenly stop using this medication, you may have withdrawal symptoms (such as anxiety, depression, confusion, fever, muscle stiffness). To help prevent withdrawal, your doctor may lower your dose slowly. Withdrawal is more likely if you have used the tablet for a long time or in high doses.
Common Side Effects of Stalevo 100 (Carbidopa-Levodopa-Entacapone):
- Back pain
- Blurred vision
- Changes in your sense of taste
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle cramps
- Skin rash or itching
- Stomach pain or upset
- Strange dreams
- Unusual skin changes
Serious Side Effects of Stalevo 100 (Carbidopa-Levodopa-Entacapone):
- Black or tarry stools
- Blurred vision
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Eye pain
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Greatly increased eye blinking or twitching
- Involuntary movements (especially twitching of the eyelid)
- Mental/mood changes (such as confusion hallucinations thoughts of suicide)
- Muscle pain
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- New or worsening muscle spasms
- Persistent diarrhea
- Persistent sore throat
- Rapid breathing and
- Signs of infection (persistent sore throat)
- Stomach/abdominal pain
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Thoughts of suicide
- Tingling of the hands or feet
- Unusual muscle stiffness
- Unusual strong urges (increased gambling or sexual urges)
- Unusual tiredness
- Vision changes
- Vomit that looks like coffee grounds
Forms and Strength
Stalevo 100 (Carbidopa-Levodopa-Entacapone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Stalevo 100: Tablet
- Drug interactions: Stalevo 100 may interact with other medications, consult a healthcare provider before taking it to avoid adverse effects.
- Side effects: Stalevo 100 may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and dyskinesia.
- Dosage adjustments: The dosage of Stalevo 100 may need to be adjusted in patients with liver or kidney problems, or in those taking certain medications.
- Allergic reactions: Patients who are allergic to levodopa, carbidopa, entacapone, or any of the other ingredients in Stalevo 100 should not take the medication.
- Monitoring: Patients taking Stalevo 100 should be monitored for changes in blood pressure, heart rate, and mental status.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Stalevo 100 should be used with caution in pregnant or breastfeeding women, as its safety has not been established in these populations.
- Impulse control disorders: Stalevo 100 has been associated with the development of impulse control disorders, such as compulsive gambling or shopping. Patients should be instructed to report any unusual behavior to their healthcare provider.
- Hallucinations and psychosis: Stalevo 100 may cause hallucinations or psychosis, particularly in patients with a history of these conditions. If these symptoms occur, patients should seek medical attention immediately.
- Cardiovascular events: Patients with a history of cardiovascular disease should be monitored closely while taking Stalevo 100, as it has been associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack or stroke.
- Withdrawal symptoms: Abruptly discontinuing Stalevo 100 may cause withdrawal symptoms such as muscle stiffness, fever, and confusion. Patients should be instructed to gradually taper off the medication under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Stalevo 100?
If you miss a dose of Stalevo 100, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How long does it take for Stalevo 100 to start working?
Stalevo 100 may begin to improve Parkinson's disease symptoms within a few days of starting treatment, but it can take several weeks to see the full benefits. Your doctor will monitor your symptoms and adjust your medication as needed.
Can Stalevo 100 be taken with food?
Stalevo 100 can be taken with or without food but taking it with a meal that is high in protein can decrease its effectiveness. Your doctor will provide guidance on the best way to take Stalevo 100 based on your individual needs.
Can Stalevo 100 be crushed or split?
No, Stalevo 100 should not be crushed or split, as this can affect how the medication is absorbed in the body. The tablet should be swallowed whole, with a full glass of water.
It's important to purchase Stalevo 100 from verified Canadian pharmacy.