Table of contents:
Fluanxol Depot is an injectable medication used in the treatment of schizophrenia and other mental and nervous system disorders.
Fluanxol contains the active ingredient flupenthixol decanoate, which belongs to the family of medications known as thioxanthenes. It is thought to work by affecting nerve pathways in certain areas of the brain to help correct certain chemical imbalances that cause the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Use and Dosage
Fluanxol Depot is administered by intramuscular injection into the upper outer quadrant of the buttock. The dosage and interval between injections should be adjusted according to the severity of the condition being treated and the patient's response to the medication.
Your body will become accustomed to the medication over time. Do not stop taking the medication without talking to your doctor. If you plan to stop the medication, your doctor may want you to reduce the dose gradually to reduce the severity of withdrawal effects.
Take Fluanxol Depot exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Fluanxol Depot (Flupenthixol Decanoate):
- Changes in menstrual periods
- Decreased interest in sexual activity
- Decreased sexual ability
- Dry mouth
- Increased production of saliva
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- Increased sweating
- Swelling of breasts (in men and women)
- Unusual secretion of milk
- Weight changes
Serious Side Effects of Fluanxol Depot (Flupenthixol Decanoate):
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal pain
- Blurred vision or other eye problems
- Chest pain or pressure
- Circular eye movement
- Confusion or loss of consciousness
- Dark urine
- Decreased blood pressure (fainting, dizziness, or lightheadedness)
- Difficult urination
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive eating
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Frequent urination
- Fruity breath odor
- High fever
- Increased thirst
- Light-colored stools
- Long-lasting (more than 4 hours) and painful erection
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of coordination
- Mask-like face
- Muscle spasms, especially of the neck and back
- Muscle stiffness
- New or worsening constipation
- Pain extending through shoulder and arm
- Poor wound healing
- Racing or irregular heartbeat
- Severe restlessness or need to keep moving
- Shuffling walk
- Skin rash
- Slurred speech
- Stiffness of arms and legs
- Swelling of the face and throat
- Trembling and shaking of fingers and hands
- Unexplained pain in the arm or leg
- Unexplained weight loss
- Yellowing of skin or whites of eyes
Forms and Strength
Fluanxol Depot (Flupenthixol Decanoate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Fluanxol Depot: Vial
- The medication should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
- Patients with a history of seizures, cardiovascular disease, or liver or kidney problems may require additional monitoring while taking Fluanxol Depot.
- The medication may interact with other drugs, inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking.
- Fluanxol Depot may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or other side effects that may affect your ability to drive or operate machinery.
- Patients should avoid alcohol while taking Fluanxol Depot.
- The medication should not be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, unless under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
- Fluanxol Depot may increase the risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition characterized by fever, muscle rigidity, and altered mental status.
- In rare cases, the medication may cause a serious allergic reaction. Patients should seek medical attention immediately if they experience symptoms such as difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, or severe rash.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I drink alcohol while taking Fluanxol Depot?
Do not drink alcohol while taking Fluanxol Depot as it may increase the risk of side effects.
Is Fluanxol Depot safe during pregnancy?
Fluanxol Depot is not recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, unless under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
How long does it take for Fluanxol Depot to start working?
The onset of action of Fluanxol Depot can vary depending on the individual, but it may take several weeks to see the full therapeutic effects.
It's important to purchase Fluanxol Depot from verified Canadian pharmacy.