Table of contents:
Sporanox Solution is an oral solution medication antifungal medication used to treat fungal infections in the mouth and throat. It can be used to treat candida (yeast) infections of the mouth, throat, and/or gullet in patients who have a lowered immune system. It is available in 10 mg/mL concentration and is typically used for patients who have difficulty swallowing capsules.
The active ingredient in Sporanox Solution is itraconazole, which belongs to the azole class of antifungal medications. Itraconazole works by blocking the synthesis of ergosterol, which is a key component of the fungal cell membrane. This disruption of the cell membrane leads to the death of the fungus or stops further growth. By inhibiting the growth and spread of the fungus, Sporanox Solution helps to treat and prevent fungal infections.
Use and Dosage
Sporanox comes in the form of a Solution to take by mouth without food as directed by your doctor, usually once or twice daily.
To use Sporanox Solution, follow your doctor's instructions carefully and only use the brand and dosage form prescribed. Take Sporanox Solution on an empty stomach, without food. Swish the solution in your mouth for several seconds, and then swallow. Patients are advised to refrain from eating for at least one hour after intake for optimal absorption. Take the medication for the full prescribed length of time, even if symptoms improve earlier. Swallow the liquid medicine slowly and completely.
The dosage and length of treatment are based on your medical condition and response to treatment. For the best effect, take Sporanox Solution at evenly spaced times. To help you remember, take the Solution at the same time(s) every day. Continue to take Sporanox Solution until the full prescribed amount is finished, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may result in a return of the infection.
Common Side Effects of Sporanox Solution (Itraconazole):
- Chest pain
- Excessive amount of mucus
- Trouble breathing
Serious Side Effects of Sporanox Solution (Itraconazole):
- Decreased urine output
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Irregular heartbeat
- Loss of appetite
- Mood changes
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Forms and Strength
Sporanox Solution (Itraconazole) is available in the following forms and strength:
Sporanox Solution: Solution
- Drug exposure may be greater with Sporanox Oral Solution than with the Capsules.
- There are several drug interactions that are contraindicated with Sporanox solution, such as methadone, disopyramide, dofetilide, and dronedarone.
- Sporanox should not be used in patients with congestive heart failure or a history of congestive heart failure.
- Itraconazole oral solution is only used to treat oropharyngeal or esophageal candidiasis in patients who have a weakened immune system. The sporanox solution may cause gastrointestinal discomfort and a mild laxative effect.
- Follow proper use and precautions when taking Sporanox Solution, which can be found in the patient leaflet for Sporanox (Itraconazole Oral Solution).
- Sporanox capsules and Oral Solution should not be used interchangeably.
- Patients with liver disease should be monitored carefully when taking Sporanox solution.
- Sporanox is not recommended for patients with a history of hypersensitivity to itraconazole or other azole antifungals.
- Patients taking Sporanox solution should have their cardiac function assessed before starting treatment, and periodically during treatment.
- Sporanox solution may cause fetal harm and is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless the potential benefits outweigh the possible risks.
- Sporanox solution can interact with a number of other medications, and patients should inform their healthcare provider of any other medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements they are taking before starting treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Sporanox Solution interact with other medications?
Yes, Sporanox Solution can interact with a number of other medications and herbal supplements, inform your healthcare provider of any other medications you are taking before starting treatment with Sporanox Solution.
Is it safe to take Sporanox Solution during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
Sporanox Solution may cause fetal harm and is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless the potential benefits outweigh the risks. It is not known if Sporanox Solution is excreted in breast milk, talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of taking this medication while breastfeeding.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Sporanox Solution?
If you miss a dose of Sporanox Solution, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
It's important to purchase Sporanox Solution from verified Canadian pharmacy.