Table of contents:
Selsun Blue (generically known as selenium) is a topical antifungal medication used to treat dandruff, seborrhea, and tinea versicolor (a fungus that discolors the skin). It combines shampoo and conditioner with maximum strength targeted dandruff control. It is formulated with selenium sulfide to help prevent and eliminate itchy scalp and visible flakes.
Selsun Blue is designed to be effective against dandruff while also cleansing and conditioning the hair to leave it healthy and manageable.
Use and Dosage
Selsun Blue is for use on the skin only. Some brands require shaking before use. Before using this medication, remove any jewelry to avoid damage to it. Avoid getting this medication into your eyes, inside your nose or mouth, or on any areas of broken/inflamed skin since it may cause irritation. If this occurs, flush the area with plenty of water. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about how to use this medication properly.
For the treatment of dandruff or scalp dermatitis, follow the manufacturer's instructions, or use as directed by your doctor. Wet the scalp and massage the medication onto the wet scalp. Leave it on your scalp for 2-3 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Some brands may require a second application. Check your product package to see if your brand requires a repeat application. Be sure to rinse your hair and scalp well with water after each application, especially on bleached, tinted, or permed hair. This medication is usually used 1 or 2 times per week to treat dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, or less frequently to maintain control of dandruff.
For the treatment of tinea versicolor, apply selenium sulfide to the affected skin. Lather with a small amount of water. Allow it to remain on your skin for 10 minutes. Rinse your skin thoroughly with water after each use. If the medication touches the genital areas or skin folds, rinse the area well with water for a few minutes to prevent irritation. This medication is applied usually once daily for 7 days to treat tinea versicolor or use as directed by your doctor. Wash your hands after using selenium sulfide. Do not leave this medication on your hair, scalp, or skin for a longer period or use it more often than directed. Your condition will not clear faster, but side effects may be increased.
Common Side Effects of Selsun Blue 2 in 1 (Selenium Sulfide):
- Dry skin
- Oily or dry hair/scalp
- Skin irritation
- Temporary hair loss
Serious Side Effects of Selsun Blue 2 in 1 (Selenium Sulfide):
- Dry skin
- Irritation of treated skin
- Peeling skin
- Serious eye symptoms such as: sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights
- Serious heart symptoms such as: fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats; fluttering in your chest; shortness of breath; and sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, or passing out
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, profuse sweating, or tremors
Forms and Strength
Selsun Blue 2 in 1 (Selenium Sulfide) is available in the following forms and strength:
Selsun Blue 2 in 1: Shampoo &Conditioner
- For external use only.
- Avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs, rinse your eyes thoroughly with water.
- Do not use it on broken or inflamed skin.
- Do not use it on infants under 2 years of age.
- If condition worsens or does not improve after regular use of this product as directed, consult a doctor.
- Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children.
- Do not use this product on colored, tinted, or permed hair.
- Avoid use of other hair or scalp products while using Selsun Blue 2-in-1 unless directed by a doctor.
- Stop using it and ask a doctor if rash or irritation develops.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I use Selsun Blue 2-in-1?
Wet hair thoroughly, apply shampoo, massage into the scalp, and rinse thoroughly. Repeat the process and leave the shampoo on the scalp for 2-3 minutes before rinsing.
Can Selsun Blue 2-in-1 be used on color-treated hair?
No, Selsun Blue 2-in-1 is not recommended for use on color-treated hair.
How often should I use Selsun Blue 2-in-1?
Selsun Blue 2-in-1 should be used twice a week or as directed by a doctor.
It's important to purchase Selsun Blue 2 in 1 from verified Canadian pharmacy.