Table of contents:
Questran Powder Light is an oral medication used to treat high cholesterol levels, particularly LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) or "bad" cholesterol. In people with high cholesterol, it causes the liver to make more bile acid by using cholesterol in the blood. This helps to lower cholesterol levels.
The medication contains cholestyramine. It is known as a bile acid-binding resin. It works by binding to bile acids in the intestine and preventing them from being reabsorbed into the body. This forces the liver to use up more cholesterol to make new bile acids, lowering the overall levels of cholesterol in the body.
Use and Dosage
Questran comes in the form of a powder with doses measured by the scoopful or in individual dose packets. To take it, follow your doctor's instructions, usually 1 to 2 times a day. Do not take your dose in the dry powder form. Instead, mix the medication in at least 2 to 6 ounces (60 to 180 milliliters) of liquid, such as water, milk, or fruit juice. Stir completely and drink the mixture right away. To ensure you have taken the full dose, rinse your glass with additional liquid and drink the rinse liquid. You can also mix it with watery soups, applesauce, or a pulpy fruit with lots of juice, like crushed pineapple or peaches.
To minimize damage to your teeth, do not hold the mixture in your mouth for long. Practice good dental habits, such as regularly brushing and flossing. Cholestyramine in Questran Powder Light may reduce the absorption of other medications. Take your other medications as directed by your doctor, at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after cholestyramine. If you have any questions or concerns, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
The dosage of Questran Powder Light is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Your doctor may direct you to start at a low dose and gradually increase it to reduce the risk of side effects. It may take several weeks for you to experience the full benefits of it.
Take Questran Powder Light regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time(s) each day. Even if you feel well, keep taking it, since most people with high cholesterol do not feel sick.
Common Side Effects of Questran Powder Light (Colestyramine):
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Questran Powder Light (Colestyramine):
- Black, bloody, or tarry stools
- Blood in your urine
- Easy bruising, unusual bleeding
- Ongoing or worsening constipation
- Severe stomach pain
Forms and Strength
Questran Powder Light (Colestyramine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Questran Powder Light: Packet
- Phenylketonurics: The medication contains phenylalanine, which can be harmful to people with phenylketonuria (PKU), a condition in which the body cannot process phenylalanine.
- Constipation: Taking cholestyramine may increase the risk of constipation. Drink plenty of fluids and eat a high-fiber diet to prevent it.
- Interference with other medications: Cholestyramine may interfere with the absorption of other medications, including vitamins and minerals. Separate the doses of cholestyramine and other medications by at least 1 hour.
- Liver disease: People with liver disease may have difficulty processing cholestyramine. Discuss the risks and benefits of taking cholestyramine with a doctor.
- High blood triglycerides: Cholestyramine may increase triglyceride levels in people with high blood triglycerides. Monitor triglyceride levels while taking cholestyramine.
- Blockage of the bile ducts: Cholestyramine may worsen bile duct blockage in people with obstructive jaundice. Discuss the risks and benefits of taking cholestyramine with a doctor if you have this condition.
- Gastrointestinal disorders: Cholestyramine may worsen gastrointestinal disorders such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Discuss the risks and benefits of taking cholestyramine with a doctor if you have these conditions.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may have an allergic reaction to cholestyramine. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience these symptoms.
- Electrolyte imbalances: Cholestyramine may cause electrolyte imbalances, particularly in people who have kidney disease. Monitor electrolyte levels while taking cholestyramine.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: There is limited information about the safety of cholestyramine during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Discuss the risks and benefits of taking cholestyramine with a doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Questran Powder Light cause liver damage?
There have been rare cases of liver damage associated with the use of cholestyramine. Monitor liver function while taking it and report any symptoms of liver problems, such as yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, or abdominal pain, to a doctor.
Can Questran Powder Light be used in children?
Questran Powder Light may be used in children as young as 6 years old for the treatment of high cholesterol levels. Follow a doctor's instructions on the dose and administration of the medication in children.
Does Questran Powder Light interact with alcohol or caffeine?
Cholestyramine may reduce the absorption of alcohol and caffeine, which may decrease their effects. Separate the doses of cholestyramine and alcohol or caffeine by at least 1 hour.
Can Questran Powder Light be used in people with kidney disease?
Questran Powder Light may be used in people with kidney disease but monitor electrolyte levels closely as cholestyramine may cause electrolyte imbalances.
It's important to purchase Questran Powder Light from verified Canadian pharmacy.