Table of contents:
Progesterone in oil is an injection used to increase progesterone levels in the body. It is often prescribed in fertility treatments, such as IVF. Progesterone, a type of female hormone also called progestin, is used to replace progesterone that the body is not making enough of. It is similar to the progesterone that the body naturally produces, and it is given to restore normal menstrual periods that have stopped for several months in women who are not pregnant and have not gone through menopause.
Progesterone is also used to treat abnormal bleeding from the uterus that is due to low hormone levels and no other causes like fibroids, uterine cancer. However, progesterone must not be used to test for pregnancy as progestins are not effective in preventing miscarriages.
Uses and Dosage
Progesterone in oil is typically given by injection into a muscle, as directed by a healthcare professional. The medication is usually given once daily for 6 to 8 days, with the dosage based on the individual's medical condition and response to treatment.
For patients who self-administer the injection at home, first learn all preparation and usage instructions from their healthcare professional. Before using Progesterone in oil should be visually inspected for particles or discoloration, and the patient should learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely.
The injection site should be cleaned with rubbing alcohol before each dose, and the location should be changed daily to avoid problem areas in the muscle. To reduce discomfort, the vial of Progesterone in oil can be placed in a glass of warm water before administration.
Using the medication at the same time each day and regularly can help patients get the most benefit from it. Patients should follow the specific instructions provided by their healthcare provider and seek medical advice if any concerns or side effects arise.
Common Side Effects of Progesterone Injection (Progesterone in oil):
- Breast tenderness
- Increased body or facial hair
- Loss of scalp hair
- Pain or swelling at the injection site
- Weight gain or loss
Serious Side Effects of Progesterone Injection (Progesterone in oil):
- Blurred or double vision
- Breast lumps
- Chest pain that travels to your jaw or left arm
- Dark patches on the skin or face
- Dark urine
- Frequent or painful urination
- Mood changes
- Pain, redness, or swelling of the arms or legs
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Severe headache
- Slurred speech
- Stomach pain
- Stopped menstrual periods (amenorrhea)
- Swelling of the ankles or feet
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual vaginal bleeding or discharge
- Vision changes
- Weakness on one side of the body
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Form and Strength
Progesterone Injection (Progesterone in oil) is available in the following forms and strength:
Progesterone Injection: Solution for Injection
- 50mg/ 1ml
- Progesterone in oil may cause some side effects, such as pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site, mood changes, or stomach upset.
- Use caution when administering progesterone in oil to patients with a history of depression or other mental health conditions, as it may worsen these conditions.
- Patients with liver disease or a history of liver disease should use caution when taking progesterone in oil, as it may cause liver problems.
- Use caution when giving progesterone in oil to patients with a history of blood clots, as it may increase the risk of clotting.
- Progesterone in oil may interact with other medications, so it is important to talk to a healthcare provider before taking it.
- Use caution when administering progesterone in oil to pregnant women, as it may cause harm to the fetus.
- Patients with a history of asthma, seizures, or migraines may need to use caution when taking progesterone in oil, as it may worsen these conditions.
- Progesterone in oil may increase the risk of fluid retention, so patients with a history of heart or kidney problems should use caution when taking it.
- Use caution when administering progesterone in oil to patients with a history of allergies, as it may cause an allergic reaction.
- Patients with a history of certain types of cancer or unusual vaginal bleeding should seek medical advice before taking progesterone in oil.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take the body to absorb progesterone in oil?
After you inject progesterone in oil, it takes about 8 hours for levels to peak in the body. Levels stay high for about 24 hours, which is why most of the time you will only need to inject progesterone in oil once a day.
What is progesterone in oil?
Progesterone in oil is a hormone medication often used in fertility treatments. It is administered via injection and is typically used to support the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle.
How long are progesterone injections typically given for?
The length of time that progesterone injections are given for will depend on the specific treatment plan and the individual patient. In general, the injections are often given for several weeks or until the early stages of pregnancy have been confirmed.
It's important to purchase Progesterone Injection from verified Canadian pharmacy.