Table of contents:
Polysporin Complete Ointment is a first aid antibiotic ointment that provides pain relief and infection protection to speed up the healing of minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. It contains active ingredients such as Polymyxin B Sulfate, Bacitracin Zinc, and Gramicidin.
Polymyxin B and neomycin sulfate work by disrupting the cell membranes of bacteria, thus killing them. Bacitracin zinc works by interfering with the bacteria's cell wall synthesis and preventing the formation of new bacterial cells. The combination of these active ingredients helps to prevent and treat bacterial infections, soothe pain, and speed up the healing process of minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
Use and Dosage
Polysporin Complete Ointment should be directly applied to the affected area. The ointment is applied directly to the skin after washing and drying the affected area.
To use Polysporin Complete Antibiotic Ointment, you should take the following steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before applying the ointment.
- Clean and dry the affected area.
- Apply a small amount of the ointment (about the size of a pea) to the affected area 1 to 3 times daily, or as directed by your doctor or healthcare provider.
- You can cover the area with a sterile bandage, if needed.
- Wash your hands again after applying the ointment.
Follow the instructions on the label or as directed by your healthcare provider. Do not use this ointment for longer than recommended or use it on large areas of the body without consulting a doctor. If your symptoms worsen or do not improve after a few days of using the ointment, you should consult your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Polysporin Complete Ointment (Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate - non-Rx):
- Skin irritation
- Rash at the application site
Serious Side Effects of Polysporin Complete Ointment (Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate - non-Rx):
- Allergic reactions such as: hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Severe skin irritation, which may include blistering or peeling of the skin
- Signs of infection such as: fever, chills, redness, swelling, or pus
Forms and Strength
Polysporin Complete Ointment (Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Polysporin Complete Ointment: Ointment
- Possible side effects may include skin rash or irritation, itching, and swelling. This is not a complete list of possible side effects.
- If you are allergic to any of the active ingredients in Polysporin Complete Ointment, you should not use it.
- Use of Polysporin Complete Ointment for a long time may increase the risk of developing resistant strains of bacteria.
- Polysporin Complete Ointment may interact with other medications you are taking. Check with your healthcare provider or pharmacist before using this ointment.
- If your symptoms do not improve within a week or if they get worse, you should seek medical advice.
- Polysporin Complete Ointment is for external use only. It should not be used in the eyes or on mucous membranes.
- Polysporin Complete Ointment should not be used on deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns, as they may require medical attention.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their healthcare provider before using Polysporin Complete Ointment.
- Keep Polysporin Complete Ointment out of reach of children to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Store Polysporin Complete Ointment at room temperature and away from heat and light.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Polysporin Complete Ointment safe to use?
Polysporin Complete Ointment is safe to use for most people, but it may cause side effects such as skin rash, irritation, itching and swelling in some individuals. If you experience any adverse reactions, you should discontinue use and seek medical attention.
Can Polysporin Complete Ointment be used on large wounds?
Do not use Polysporin Complete Ointment on large wounds, deep or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns as these may require medical attention.
Is Polysporin Complete Ointment safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult with their healthcare provider before using Polysporin Complete Ointment.
Can Polysporin Complete Ointment be used on children?
Polysporin Complete Ointment can be used on children but follow the recommended usage and precautions.
It's important to purchase Polysporin Complete Ointment from verified Canadian pharmacy.