Table of contents:
Periostat is an orally administered medication primarily used to treat adult periodontitis, a condition that causes inflammation and infection of the tissues that support the teeth, such as bones and ligaments. It contains doxycycline hyclate as active ingredient, which belongs to a group of drugs called tetracyclines. It works by reducing the activity of an enzyme called collagenase, which is responsible for breaking down connective tissue in the gums.
While doxycycline is commonly known for its antibiotic properties, the low-dose version found in Periostat, doxycycline 20 mg, works by reducing collagenase activity, slowing down the breakdown of collagen, which plays a critical role in supporting connective tissues in the body.
Uses and Dosage
Periostat comes in the form of tablets to take by mouth and should be taken at least one hour before the morning and evening meals. Take Periostat with a full glass of water to ensure the medication does not stay in the esophagus and cause irritation.
Take Periostat as directed by your doctor. If you happen to miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and follow your regular dosing schedule. If it is close to the time of your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose. If you are unsure of what to do after missing a dose, seek advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended dosage for Periostat is to take it twice daily at 12-hour intervals, usually in the morning and evening. The usual recommended dose of Periostat is 20 mg twice a day. It is indicated for treatment periods of 3 months and should not be administered for more than 3 consecutive three month periods. However, the exact dosage may vary depending on the individual case, follow the specific dosage instructions provided by your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Periostat (Doxycycline Hyclate):
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Joint pain
- Tooth ache or other tooth problems
Serious Side Effects of Periostat (Doxycycline Hyclate):
- Common cold (e.g., runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing, cough, sore throat)
- Discharge with pus
- Flu-like symptoms (e.g., fever, body aches, headache, cough, sore throat)
- Intestinal (gut) inflammation
- Persistent heartburn or indigestion
- Sinus infection
- Swollen or painful gums
- Swollen tongue
- Thick white discharge
- Tooth sensitivity
- Trouble swallowing
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Yeast infection in the mouth; white, curd-like patches in the mouth or on the tongue
Form and Strength
Periostat (Doxycycline Hyclate) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 20 mg
- Do not use Periostat if you are allergic to doxycycline or other tetracycline antibiotics.
- Use caution if you have liver or kidney disease or if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- Periostat may interact with some medications, such as blood thinners, antacids, and some antibiotics.
- Use of Periostat may result in side effects such as gastrointestinal upset, increased sensitivity to sunlight, and tooth discoloration.
- Use of Periostat may cause an increase in intracranial pressure, especially in individuals with a history of pseudotumor cerebri.
- Periostat can cause vaginal yeast infection or oral thrush, especially if used for a prolonged period.
- Use of Periostat can result in the overgrowth of nonsusceptible organisms or superinfection.
- Periostat can cause photosensitivity and may increase the risk of sunburn, so it is important to avoid excessive exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays while taking this medication.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
When is the best time to take doxycycline, morning or night?
The morning and evening doses should be taken 12 hours apart each day for as long as directed. Doxycycline works just as well whether you take it with or without food or milk.
How many hours does doxycycline work for?
The elimination half-life of doxycycline is between 16 to 22 hours (for healthy adults).
Can you drink milk with doxycycline?
It is concluded that, like the other tetracyclines, doxycycline should not be administered together with milk.
It's important to purchase Periostat from verified Canadian pharmacy.